Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short (involves a kitten and a tank without a top) my 12 gallon will be fishless this coming week. I will have my 55 gallon up and running in about a month or 2. I will be returning the 2 Kenyi I bought(before doing my research) and was considering buying a few juveniles to have in this 12 gallon, maybe 4. I really like these fish, the Cobue variety. My questions is at the LFS how can you tell what is a Cobue vs. different variety? They are labeled with their scientific names vs. nicknames. I just don't want to purchase the wrong type and the cichlid 'expert' isn't always there so at times the employees really don't know one from another. What should I look for? Any thoughts? Thanks.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Is it ok to mix Afra? After looking at them all I like the coloring on all of them. Why wouldn't one want a variety? Any negatives? Thoughts? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Since all mouthbrooders can crossbreed and the closer related fish have higher odds of doing so, many fishkeepers prefer not to house Cynotilapia Afra together.

Some of them also look similar, and similar-looking fish housed together often fight.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is a question. If the m:f matio is correct wouldn't the aggression be the same as if you have the same number of one type in the tank? I do not plan on intervening and saving any fry and I would not return the fish or sell. Are there any issues besides the breeding/hybrid issue? I will most likely just stick with Cobue, I am just trying to educate myself. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
With Cynotilapia, m:f ratio matters. So if you get 3 species of Cynotilapia Afra in your 55G, and each group has one male, and each male looks similar to the others, then the 3 males will fight.

There are some fishkeepers who have success with this, but others who have problems. So depends on what odds for success you are comfortable with.

Personally, it really bothers me to watch fish trying to kill each other, so if I can avoid the problem by choosing a different fish, I will, LOL.

(I never intervene and save fry either, but if a hybrid fry survives (and several will), you have to tear down your tank to get it out before IT breeds and you end up with the entire tank suspect.)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I think afra are the perfect reason to set up multiple single species tanks.

DJRansome has given you excellent advise.

I really wouldn't buy anymore mbuna until you get the larger tank set up, though. Life has a way of changing your plans, and these fish have a mind of their own when they start to mature. I can't think of 4 of any mbuna that I would keep in a 12G tank for more than a QT period.

Kim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts