Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

I need some info about this species and hope you can help me!
Is there something like this at all?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, I hate this :(

Joea, I`ve found this on internet

They say it`s red top - I guess there`s nothing like this, but may be they call some other afra variant like this.

And what about the C. Afra Likoma - I`ve seen some of these today, but I`m not sure if it`s pure species or if it`s Likoma at all. So I want to ask you all guys to show me some pics of these fish at size about 1-2"!

Thank you

·
Registered
14,646 Posts
The inherent problem with trade names... they very accurately describe a dozen or more fish.

Yours could be any number of variants with a yellow/orange dorsal and/or blaze.

Unless you can get an accurate collection point from the seller, or post a picture here, I'm afraid you may not know exactly what fish it is.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, no! Fortunatly I didn`t buy anything today :D Just wondering who named this fish : /

I have already some kind of Afra.. Should be Hai Reef, but with a blue fin, so they call it Hai reef Blue!? I love it, but...

EDIT: Hey, 10x pilotscove! Mine are the same like the last one - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/ ... ikoma1.jpg
Do you have some photo of his lady?

·
Registered
241 Posts
nixanbal said:
Oh, no! Fortunatly I didn`t buy anything today :D Just wondering who named this fish : /

I have already some kind of Afra.. Should be Hai Reef, but with a blue fin, so they call it Hai reef Blue!? I love it, but...

EDIT: Hey, 10x pilotscove! Mine are the same like the last one - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/ ... ikoma1.jpg
Do you have some photo of his lady?
no female pics!!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
nixanbal, that could be one of the Mbambas that is just classified as Cynotilapia sp., not afra.

Possibly the Chitende Island variant???

I hate the "red top" stuff! :x

Kim

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Red Tops, like everyone has said, can be any number of Cynotilapia species. I really wish places would stop using it - the fish are beautiful but you really can't figure out which location they came from - or if someone mixed two locations, both labeled as Red Tops. :?

Like PilotsCove posted - I'm most familiar with seeing 'Red Top Chimate' on lists - but I haven't looked at any lists lately.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I think we see the "red top" label alot of times because the LFS doesn't know where they came from.

I won't buy those for breeding, because I'm never certain that the supplier knew what they were doing.

Kim

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Me too, Kim :( And I love afras so much, but all species here are named this way - red top, *** yellow, *** blue.... :x

There`s just the Likoma named right, but I can`t be sure if it`s this species anymore :(

·
Registered
9,061 Posts
There is a race of Afra sold as "Red Top Dwarf" ... might be "Hai Reef" I think. They are not really red but vary from yellowish to orange-reddish, but are still nice fish

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Adult male WC C. afra Likoma

F1 male @ about 2" and just starting to show breeding activity

The most significant indicator IMHO and what separates this locale varient from many other afras with yellow dorsals is the pigmentation of the females

Red Top--Jumbo--Dwarf--White Top etc........etc.... are just trade names invented by sellers to give some kinda discription of the varient---has been done for years (way back before the internet and digital pictures---now that we have all these options, I'm not sure why this habit persists?) I'm 100% down with everyone--if you're not pretty positive you've got good info and correct females etc....keep the fish if you want, just don't disperse fry.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I'd love to add some to your great site--I got really busy going full bore on my fishroom and failed to write my password/username stuff down when I registered :oops: would you mind PM'img me with that stuff?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts