Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have these, or have experience with them? I'm looking into getting some for my 38 gallon tank which will also house Pseudotropheus sp. Flamebacks. I couldn't find much info on them, so I was just wondering how big they will get.

·
Super Moderator
40,503 Posts
Those are big fish for a 38G tank.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
I have the Hai Reefs, and so does Fishboy11. These don't get real big but it'll depend on how many you are goin to but in that 38 gallon. Like many Cynotilapia, the Hai Reefs are a dwarf mbuna but they still "pack a punch". I've had some of my juveniles stand up to other Cyno's 1.5 to 2 times their size.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Definetly my little male keeps half of a four foot tank to himself.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
These are an awesome fish. They would make for a great species tank. Pilotscove has a ton of fry available. I will show u his old breeder male...then shots of my nicest male!

If u wanna do a species tank...i would recommend getting about 15 fry from pilotscove...maybe 20. Keep 4 males and the rest females....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone. I was originally planning on doing 7 hai reefs and 5 flamebacks, but I might just keep it a species only tank.

Fishboy, that male looks exactly like the picture of the father of the fish that I'm getting. I got them off of aquabid from a guy in North Carolina.

I worked out a deal with the guy so I am getting 10 juvies instead of 6. I figured that would hopefully give me a good m/f ratio.

How big will they get? I assumed they were about the same as most of the cynotilapia afra's and would only get about 3".

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
You don't want to put the flamebacks in that size tank with other fish! The males are brutal, and you will need alot of space for the females to hide out and escape. I've had as hard of a time keeping females alive for my male flameback as I did with my auratus!

Great choice in afra, though!

Kim

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I thought that fish looked familiar :) In fact, there was another auction for Hai Reefs that had 8 fish for the same price, but their male didn't look near as good as yours.

Cichlidaholic, are the flamebacks really aggressive then? From what I've read it seemed like they weren't too bad. I just emailed another breeder to find out if he has any juvies right now so that I could add the hai reefs and flamebacks together, but maybe I better stick with just the afras. I thought if I added them together as juvies I would have a better chance of them getting along, and then once they are able to be sexed I would thin them out a bit.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I got these guys from Scott as well...he is in SC....i have 5m/2f...and they do well in my 90g mbuna tank with 2m/5f polits, 3m/4f msobo magunga, 3m/6f yellow labs, and 7 F1 Pseudotropheus Manda Dolphin. Mine are very nice...both females currently holding...this is an awesome species

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fishboy, do your males stay colored up all the time, or is there just one dominant male? I'm trying to decide if I can keep more than one male in my tank. I am hoping to get 5 Flamebacks (1m/4f) and 7 Hai Reefs (2m/5f), along with a bristlenose plec for algae. There will be plenty of hiding places because I am going to be making a big cave structure out of flagstone that will cover the back of the tank, and slope around the one corner. I also am prepared to remove fish if necessary.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
My male flameback is a terrorist. He is the most aggressive male I've kept besides the auratus. I just want to thump him on the head and tell him to straighten up! Perhaps if we could keep some females alive for him, he might eventually mellow, but he's bad enough that we're seriously considering getting rid of him!

He sure does look good while he's tearing up a tank, though!

The remaining female we have is just as bad aggression wise...The meeker ones got wiped out by her and the male. They will eventually kill each other or spawn! :D (Both are about 4 1/2 inches, but they've had this attitude since they hit about 3 inches!)

Maybe mine just need some anger management classes, but they are so bad that right now they are in a 40G breeder alone, I've moved them several times and they just won't play nice!

Kim

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow :eek: The guy that I am looking at getting them from said that he doesn't think they are any more aggressive than other pseudotropheus species. But its kinda hard to judge because not many people have them, and I can't find hardly any info on them. The profile on here says "mildly aggressive". I definitely only plan on having one male with at least 4 females. I guess I'll just try it and see but I will be ready to remove them if they get too aggressive. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
If you get them all when they are small, you might be okay. Mine were about 2 1/2 inches when I got them, and he has ruled every tank he's been in at my house. I have kept alot of Pseudotropheus' and this guy is by far the worse, but it's different for everyone! He has really intimidated some of my Cynotilapias, and that is why he's all alone for now!

They are gorgeous, but you are right, not many people have them, so it's hard to know what to expect. I could just bring out the worse in these two! :D

Kim

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Only the dominant male keeps his stripes full time, but the other males still look great. With enough cover and plenty of females they would make a nice species tank...whatever u do...good luck with them...and most of all enjoy

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Does anyone know if these two species will inter-breed? I don't really want to have to deal with hybrid fry. Also, is it better to strip the female after 3 weeks, or move her to a seperate tank and let her spit them?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Pseudotropheus (flamebacks) and Cynotilapia (afra) should not interbreed if you have adequate males and females of each species.

I still believe you'll have a hard time keeping flamebacks in with afra in the 38G tank...I don't think your afra will colour up to their full potential.

You're going to need a seperate tank to house the females in while they are holding, unless you have alot of females for each male. Holding females will be harrassed pretty severely if you don't. You'll also need the seperate tank for the fry if you plan to grow them out. Whether you strip or not is up to you.

Kim

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I plan on having at least 4 females and only one flameback male. We are in the process of building a cave structure that is about 26" long x 8" wide, and it wraps around the corner of the tank. There will be at least 15 caves in it. I have a 5.5 gallon tank in the basement that I could use for fry, or I could get a 10 gallon or 20 long instead. I figured if I start getting a bunch of fry then I would get a bigger growout tank. Thanks for the help.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts