Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had given up on waiting for my cyno. haras to spawn. The dominant male had been digging up & making huge piles of sand, but with no spawns for so long that I've stopped watching for them. Today, I was looking at my mainganos & saw 3 females holding(already knew of 2). As I'm looking around the tank I see one of the haras holding :eek: . I was surprised because I've had them since April , had a change in dom. males & nothing - until now. Sub-dom. males & females are difficult to distinguish, but at least I know I have 1 female now. :lol:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
That's how I know I have a female. I have 1 out of 5. I have a tank full of fry, too. Are you going to strip or isolate the female? I did so and ended up with close to 100 fish over a year. All the other males are sub doms. One or two are fry that survived separates broods when I let her spit in the tank.

I <3 my hara.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm going to strip the female. I put the new fry in a floating plastic breeder box in my fry tank & after they've grown out some, I release them into the fry tank.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I've never stripped my fish. I just put her in a 10g by herself and then move the fry to a growout once they are a little bigger.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts