Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any pointers on doing this? Can fish be added after the water temp is set and water conditioner added?

It seems the fishless with ammonia is just as painful...minus the lost fish lives :fish: :fish:

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Lora2517 said:
Does anyone have any pointers on doing this? Can fish be added after the water temp is set and water conditioner added?

It seems the fishless with ammonia is just as painful...minus the lost fish lives :fish: :fish:
Fish can be added after the tank has a chance to settle for a day or two, yes. You'll need to monitor toxic ammonia and nitrite and do water changes to keep levels down. Also go easy on feeding and don't mess with the filter until your tank is well established 60-90 days or so. A product like Ammolock or Prime is helpful in detoxifying ammonia/nitrite. And don't cycle with expensive fish, but you probably already know that.

Wish I could help you with fishless cycling, as it's really not difficult. I think some overthink it and make it more difficult than it needs to be. I've seen your earlier posts. Have you been trying to cycle with Dr. Tim's One and Only?

·
Registered
80 Posts
It seems the fishless with ammonia is just as painful...minus the lost fish lives
I'm not sure what you mean by that.

And I'm not exactly a fishless cycling expert, but I have done 2 tanks this way in the past 4 months.

I couldnt be happier or feel more rewarded after completing them and adding my fish in knowing it was the best option for EVERY reason.

I never even considered using fish.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Cycling with fish does nessesarilly mean you'll lose them. Goldfish and Mollies make good fish for cycling with fish just make sure you use prime or ammolock or something like that. and have a home ready for them when it's over if they're not staying in the tank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts