Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, doing a fishless cycle on a 75 gallon tank. I started the process on 02/17/19. Added my initial 5ml ammonia does, bringing the tank up to around 4ppm on ammonia. All is swell. No other ammonia added until ammonia reads 0ppm.

Fast forward to about a week ago. "Looked" like the cycling was complete, because ammonia & nitrite tested zero. However, every other day, nitrite goes up to .25 - .50.

This is current log of what's going on.

• I do a 30% water change, mainly to keep nitrates low (they're measuring 80-160). Then I add 5ml ammonia.
• Next day, ammonia=0, nitrite=.25-.50. I do a 30% WC (for nitrates).
• Next day, ammonia=0, nitrite=0. Do a 30% WC. Then add 5ml ammonia.
• Next day, ammonia=0, nitrite=.25-.50. I do a 30% WC (for nitrates).
• Next day, ammonia=0, nitrite=0. Do a 30% WC. Then add 5ml ammonia.

... and the loop continues. In all this, as shown above, I do a 30% WC every day, and add 5ml ammonia EVERY OTHER day.

So... questions...
1. should I be doing something different?
2. Are the daily water changes ok?
3. Should I continue to add ammonia every other day, or should I add it daily after each water change?

·
Registered
690 Posts
I can't help on why your nitrItes keep bumping up but I've never done a water change during a cycle, even though the article says to because it could stall with high nitrItes.

Doing it my way it takes about 3 weeks to complete a cycle. In my 75g, 7mL of ammonia = more than 4 / less than 8ppm. I put 7mL of ammonia on day 1 and it took 6 days for ammonia to hit 0. Once it hit zero I added 7mL every day (ammonia was always 0) until nitrItes read 0, which took 17 days.

No issues what so ever and the only water change was once the cycle was completed. Just keep doing what you're doing, eventually the nitrItes have to come down and stay at 0.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
Try skipping the water changes for several days. Add ammonia just as you have, when ammo and nitrite are both zero. Once they both read zero after 24 hours, you're good to go. You're likely fine right now, as 4ppm ammonia is high and you're unlikely to throw that at the bacteria in a day when you add fish.

Sounds like you're at the home stretch.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts