Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help, I just bought a used tank off of Craigslist and the prior owner totally threw away all of the old filter media.

Is it possible to use the rocks that I got to help along the cycling process or do I have to start at Square One? I wasn't going to use the large pea gravel that he gave me, but if it will help the cycling process I might.

Thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
Depends how long the stuff has been out of service. It would help to use the rocks definitely. Put the gravel in a bag or something to make for easy removal when cycling is complete.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
If you have another tank with an established filter you could use that one to seed the new tank. I do it all the time. If I get a new tank I buy a new filter for the old tank and put the old filter on the new tank. Or borrow media from the old filter.

·
Banned
406 Posts
Or if youre lucky like me itll take a week to cycle with just ammonia. Not sure how I did it but I did. And the tanks been going fine for a few weeks now...0 ammonia; 0 nitrites.

It took me 3 weeks to do my 90 gallon; and a week to do my 55.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
60gallon said:
Or if youre lucky like me itll take a week to cycle with just ammonia. Not sure how I did it but I did. And the tanks been going fine for a few weeks now...0 ammonia; 0 nitrites.

It took me 3 weeks to do my 90 gallon; and a week to do my 55.
:? I'm no cycling expert, but from what I understand, without any type of established bacteria being used to seed the new tank....that's not possible.

·
Banned
406 Posts
Well don't know what to tell then guess i did the impossible!! But it definitely is cycled. Lol

·
Banned
406 Posts
http://www.cichlidforums.com/showthread ... 141&page=2

AND FYI I didnt swap over any sand, rock or filter media from my 90 to the 55. My 55 has new PFS, new holey rock, new water and a new Eheim 2217. :wink:

Oh and when my 1st tank took 3 weeks to cycle some said that was too soon too, but its been fine over a month. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrates.

:popcorn:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Yeah if it wasn't kept wet and dried out I wouldn't say it would work. I used old substrate from a cycled tank, then put it inside a bag and stuck it in my fx5. I cycled a 125 in a week that way. I have a 55 that I am just about done cycling from square one using the dry biozyme in the yellow or red containers. I set it up 10 days ago with a Cascade 1000 and a cheap HOB that came with the tank. try that stuff out I cost like $3. it worked for me. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts