Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to start cycling a new tank I'm setting up for breeding and have a question. I am running two canisters both have been used previously, one for about 6 months and the other just a few weeks. Both were left out of use for about a month. My question is cycling....do I need to re cycle these canisters or will the bacteria still be there even though it has been not used at all for a period of time. Sorry if it's a silly question.

On another note these filters came from a friends tank, is there any possibility that there are diseases or nastys in the media and if so how can I get those out or purify the media. Both canisters are running on an empty tank.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
They could have nasties, yes. But if your friend's tank was healthy then you should be OK. Probably cannot purify it and still keep the beneficial organisms.

The one that was running 6 months should be fine. Put in the amount of ammonia specified in the Cichlid-forum article about cycling with ammonia and ensure the ammonia and nitrite goes to zero within 24 hours.

The one that was running for 2 weeks maybe. Same approach to testing.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, and can I say you have always been so helpful since setting up my other Demasoni tank. Thanks I will go get some ammonia tomorrow

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have not seen my friend in nearly year due to lockdown and thee virus. I've asked if his tank was ok when he shut it down and he said yes it was fine. What would you do? Trust there were no issues or purify them just incase? Just don't want it to cause issues. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,838 Posts
Be sure the ammonia you purchase has no surfactants, scents or other additives besides water.

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
I would just test and go.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can anyone please point me to the cycling post that specifies the amount of ammonia that needs adding as per djransoms reply. Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts