Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm new to the site and was wondering if I still need to cycle my new tank if I use Eco-Complete African Cichlid Substrates 20 lbs
Item #: CD-79402(White Sand). I've used shrimp in a bag and Dr. Tims Ammonium Chloride in the past, but was told I can use this sand and it would cycle the tank for me and I would be able to add fish right away. Please let me know if this is true.

Also, I have a 125 gallon tank, would five 20 pound bags be enough to get me a 1.5 inch bed of substrate?

Tank Dimensions: 72 1/2 x 18 1/2 x 23 3/8

Many thanks

·
Registered
202 Posts
This is what I just used barely two weeks ago. My tank is now eating 2ppm ammonia a day and my Nitrite is down to zero in two days. I wouldn't say it's dump in and add fish at the same time but it will (in my case, same size tank) speed up your cycle to under 3 weeks. I still added ammonia and monitored until everything reads zero except Nitrate after a day or two.

I just typed a question in this forum myself that I'm waiting on an answer from.

·
Super Moderator
40,893 Posts
That sand is very expensive and often users complain of cloudy water for a long time after set up. I would use pool filter sand.

·
Registered
242 Posts
If you do use the eco-complete I would still dose ammonia and test 24 hrs later to confirm you are fish ready before adding anything.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts