Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok....I avoided asking this, because its been talked about so many times on the forum. And I like to search and read before I ask any questions. I have a 125 gal, with 3 Emperor 400's running all day. It's been 8 days since I added ammonia, and no drop in the reading what so ever. I am not using anything from an established tank, but I did buy some Stress Zyme and added it 2 days ago. Is it something I'm doing wrong? I thought maybe it takes a little longer to see a drop in ammonia in bigger tanks. I dosed the tank on day one to 4 ppm.

I also raised the heater temp to 86 degrees. I'm hoping the bacteria thats trying to grow isnt dying right away. I havent done any water changes to make things worse. Should I just be patient? Or, should I try and get some gravel or used filter media to try and move things along? Any help here is much appreciated, and sorry to bring up another cycling question! LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
279 Posts
If you haven't added anything from an established tank or added bacteria aids it will take awhile to get your nitrites.
Do you have by chance another tank that is established. If you do and you can part with the old media from it that would help out alot.
Or... if you have a local pet store near by you could ask them for some old media or some substrate from their tanks....
When I did my fishless cycle I took the media from my HOB filter on my 29 gallon community tank. The filter was about 4 months old and only washed a few time in tank water, and over due for changing. I threw that in the back of one of my new HOB filters. When I added my ammonia it was 2 days and nitrite was eating the ammonia down to 0 within 24 hours. It was the nitrate that took awhile to establish itself. I also added bacteria aid called Microbe Lift Special Blend (which seems to work well). Used it to estblish a bacteria colony in my 29 gallon

Just some food for thought for you!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Mason! I guess I will have to go to the LFS and see what they might give me. They should be able to, since I spend enough money in there. I dont have any other tanks. I wish I did. I thought the ammonia would have come down a bit after a week, but it didnt budge. If I seen it come down a little, or drop 1ppm, I probably wouldnt be this impatient. LOL

Now I can see everyones aggravation in cycling. Looking at an empty tank after a week kinda sucks. But I know its well worth it in the end. Thanks!

Shellies215.....I am in the Northeast, Mayfair section.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,657 Posts
Irish Johnny said:
Thanks Mason! I guess I will have to go to the LFS and see what they might give me. They should be able to, since I spend enough money in there. I dont have any other tanks. I wish I did. I thought the ammonia would have come down a bit after a week, but it didnt budge. If I seen it come down a little, or drop 1ppm, I probably wouldnt be this impatient. LOL

Now I can see everyones aggravation in cycling. Looking at an empty tank after a week kinda sucks. But I know its well worth it in the end. Thanks!

Shellies215.....I am in the Northeast, Mayfair section.
My father grew up in mayfair and my dad use to take me to Jimmy's barber shop there when I was a kid. :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
656 Posts
I might be going to the pets plus at red lion and the blvd this weekend to get some light bulbs for one of my tanks, If I do, Maybe you want me to bring you some filter media. I have two HOB's that I could change pads in, and bring the old ones in a bag of water to give you a jump start. Let me know what your schedule is.
 

·
Read Only
Joined
·
0 Posts
You're not the only one looking at an empty tank and not seeing anything. Course I think it was my dumb arse that caused it. I put the Carib Sea Cichild gravel in my tank, it comes packed in liquid, supposedly with the live bacteria. When I put it in the tank it clouded it up, course the filter cleaned the tank in about 20 minutes. Put ammonia in Sunday night.... Tuesday night saw a slight drop in the ammonia.... Then I thought all that junk from the bag must have made that filter (Fluval FX5) nasty, I should probably clean it and change the polishing pad....

Yeah opened up the filter and sure enough the polishing pad was nice and brown so I changed it out for a new one....Come home today and check today.... no change...Start thinking.... "I'm an idiot", I just threw the bacteria in the trash. Hoping some made it throught the polishing pad. Heading to the LFS tomorrow to pick up my lights and background, so I'll probably pick up some kind of bacteria "aid", see if they have any of that Dr. Tims stuff I read about on here....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,657 Posts
Irish Johnny said:
Small world. Although I'm trying to think of where Jimmy's shop is.
It's closed now, and I can't remember the corner it was on. I know there was a 7-11/Citgo gas station across the street. Not sure if that is still there either. Father has since past so I can't ask him.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
rgr4475 said:
Irish Johnny said:
Small world. Although I'm trying to think of where Jimmy's shop is.
It's closed now, and I can't remember the corner it was on. I know there was a 7-11/Citgo gas station across the street. Not sure if that is still there either. Father has since past so I can't ask him.
I know where exactly you mean....it was on Tyson ave and Rowland ave. I live right around the corner. He has been closed a while now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,657 Posts
Irish Johnny said:
rgr4475 said:
Irish Johnny said:
Small world. Although I'm trying to think of where Jimmy's shop is.
It's closed now, and I can't remember the corner it was on. I know there was a 7-11/Citgo gas station across the street. Not sure if that is still there either. Father has since past so I can't ask him.
I know where exactly you mean....it was on Tyson ave and Rowland ave. I live right around the corner. He has been closed a while now.
Yes I do remember it was on Tyson. That's funny. Small world. Great childhood memories. We spent all day there because my dad would sit and BS with everyone. I would run over to 7-11 and buy football cards. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah barber shops are always good for BSing. LOL He passed away a couple years ago. I never went there, but lots of neighbors knew him well.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top