Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 55 gallon and its cycled. Today I bought a 90 gallon but dont want to do another cycle...so can I take the sand and filter from my 55 gallon and swap it over to my 90 gallon and the bacteria still work as they should?

Im assuming yes since Im not adding any more fish but wanted to ask first.

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
The short answer is yes, that should work exactly as planned. For a more detailed response see this recent thread.

Enjoy the 90G! That's a great size tank, and with the other gear you have listed in your signature line, it should make one heck of a setup :thumb:

·
Registered
453 Posts
You might see a little ammonia or nitrite but either should disappear is a day or two. If you have an ammonia source add some after you set-up the 90 with the 'old' gravel and test for a day or two to be sure and you'll be set to add fish

good luck

·
Banned
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I finally got it all set up last night, my back was on FIRE! :lol: It took me several hours but they seem to adjusted already. I noticed my peacocks already swimming in the upper part of the tank, I think they appreciate the height.

Heres a video I shot last night:

·
Registered
175 Posts
congrats on the new tank! Looks great!

·
Registered
175 Posts
btw, realized that you have sand in the tank? DId the tank get all coudy when you put in the sand?
I just upgraded to a 150g from my old 80g, and the new tank is still cloudy after 3 days.

·
Banned
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
humsuplou said:
Thanks!

humsuplou said:
btw, realized that you have sand in the tank? DId the tank get all coudy when you put in the sand?
I just upgraded to a 150g from my old 80g, and the new tank is still cloudy after 3 days.
Im using pool filter sand so the sand sinks almost instantly. Since I filled the tank up w/ new water it was slightly hazy but within 3-4hrs. it was gone. The water is crystal clear today.

If youre using aquarium sand it might take a few days to settle, if youre using pool filter sand and its cloudy did you clean the sand first? Hopefully someone else can chime in...Im still a noob when it comes to tanks. :oops:

·
Registered
175 Posts
60gallon said:
humsuplou said:
Thanks!

humsuplou said:
Im using pool filter sand so the sand sinks almost instantly. Since I filled the tank up w/ new water it was slightly hazy but within 3-4hrs. it was gone. The water is crystal clear today.

If youre using aquarium sand it might take a few days to settle, if youre using pool filter sand and its cloudy did you clean the sand first? Hopefully someone else can chime in...Im still a noob when it comes to tanks. :oops:
i use Craibsea Aragonite...but thanks for your quick response. I guess it will just take a couple more days to settle? Btw, I am usng a FX5 canister.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
That's the dust/debris in-between the aragonite most likely.

Yes, it will clear up.

You can also use Seachem Clarity to speed up the process as long it's something you KNOW isn't a recurring issue.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Glaneon said:
That's the dust/debris in-between the aragonite most likely.

Yes, it will clear up.

You can also use Seachem Clarity to speed up the process as long it's something you KNOW isn't a recurring issue.
Thanks! I will change some water and add the polishing pad to the FX5? You think that will help?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Yup.

The clarity will trap the debris that's in the water in the filter - works in a few hours. Again, it's not a "fix" for a problem that recurs, but it's a fix for a one-time issue, such as adding substrate that caused some cloudiness.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Glaneon said:
Yup.

The clarity will trap the debris that's in the water in the filter - works in a few hours. Again, it's not a "fix" for a problem that recurs, but it's a fix for a one-time issue, such as adding substrate that caused some cloudiness.
Hope so!
One more question since you own a FX5. How often should I use the polishing pad vs. the fine filter? They both go to the same slot, but I think the direction stated use the fine filter after using the polishing pad.
And we should change the polishing pad 7-10 days, while the fine filter is about 4 weeks.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
You can stack them. Put the fine filter directly on top of the polishing pad. Put the bio media on top of those 2 (in the bottom basket).

·
Registered
175 Posts
The filters on top the bio media? Hmm...I did it the opposite way as instructed. It says put the polish pad on top of the biomax....

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
You can if you want - if you want to use the biomedia as a sort of filter - it might save a little changing time on the polishing pad. You should only have to change it if you see a decrease in water flow. However, with the FX5, and your light bio-load - I dont know that will be a serious issue.

Other folks use quilt batting as a "polishing" filter.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Glaneon said:
You can if you want - if you want to use the biomedia as a sort of filter - it might save a little changing time on the polishing pad. You should only have to change it if you see a decrease in water flow. However, with the FX5, and your light bio-load - I dont know that will be a serious issue.

Other folks use quilt batting as a "polishing" filter.
I see.
But my water is still a little cloudy when I woke up this morning. Should I give it more time? Or there's something that I should look into?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I still think 1 dose of the Seachem Clarity will take care of it. If the issue comes back, then run more filter media in there.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Glaneon said:
I still think 1 dose of the Seachem Clarity will take care of it. If the issue comes back, then run more filter media in there.
Ok, will give Clarity a shot then.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
175 Posts
humsuplou said:
Glaneon said:
Ok, will give Clarity a shot then.
Thanks again!
Applied Clarity as instructed. 8 capful of the clarity for my 150g, cleared up a little bit, but not crystal clear after 6 hours. Added another 4 capful, and will see how it goes by tomorrow morning.
I think it is safe to apply up to 3 times the recommendation vol, and now I just appliued 1.5x more, which should be ok.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Yeah, you should be fine.

let me know how it goes - I swear by the stuff - but if it keeps getting cloudy, then you need to address it with filter material, etc.

Again, this is great for one time (or rare) issues.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts