Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I've been away from the forum for a while, but I have always received expert help here. So thanking you in advance.
I have a 72 gallon bow front set up for Lake Malawi. Currently have a 6 inch pleco and 4 in orange mumba .
Recently my fluval 404 powerhead failed so I purchased a 407.
I'm about to install, and my question is how long will it take to cycle.
I have an aqua clear 500 also on this tank and two power heads with foam returns for my under gravel flo (3 exit nozzels each, I found the design on here years ago)
So the only thing supporting my cycling right now is the AQ 500.
I did a major cleaning last weekend, totally emptied water and cleaned gravel bleach cleaned my texas holy rock, rinsed and sun dried outside and are ready to go back in. Have put 9 good sized new plants in tank.
Water is fresh and in good condition and has been running for a week.
How long will it take for the new fluval to be ready to support the tank so I can clean the AQ 500, it's pretty nasty and I'll admit the tank has been ignored for quite some time. I recently retired from the post office (Amazon was crushing me) and ready to get this tank up to where I always had it.
I want to get new stock but not until the fluval is ready to support.
Again thank you for your expert advice.
Al

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only did the texas rocks then rinsed /soaked for two days then left out in sun, have done this maybe four times or so and never had a problem. I thought it was just a bad impeller when I cleaned the 404, but the mag stuck and actually burned a small hole in the motor cylinder. I'll follow your advice, maybe I'll let the 500 run as is for another week. Thank you so much!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.