Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone....well, I am about to start my first cichlid tank and I am very excited to hopefully end up with a gorgeous cichlid haven in the end.....

My tank is a 56g (30X18x24) and has been fishless cycling for about 2 weeks now. When I first started adding regular tap water combined with the properly measured water conditioner, the water was crystal clear for only a few days.

Then it started to look cloudy, which I ascertained was the natural process during the cycling. I tested the water and it had >0.25ppm ammonia and virtually 0.0 nitrite/nitrate. The pH was high at around 7.8. We live in an area where the water is very hard (ideal for cichlid keeping I am told).

I am running a Fluval 305 (260gph) filter and the media is as follows:

bottom tier (2 sides): ceramic rings and crushed coral (in a bag)
middle tier (2 sides): ceramic rings and crushed coral (in a bag)
top tier (2 sides): ceramic rings both sides

I removed the carbon bags that came with the filter (all 3 of them) after reading some good input as to when carbon should be used.

Recently the water started having a "rust" color (pictures forthcoming) and now I am perplexed as to what may be happening. I have read articles about high iron content, although bathroom fixtures in my house do not have any remnants of rust rings, although water straight from the tap does taste "metallic". I removed the carbon bags that came with the fil

If anyone has an idea of how I can get my water to that "crystal" clear state again....I appreciate your effort and time. I added the crushed coral to buffer my tank to the appropriate pH, and it now is indicating a pH of 8.2. This was also done after doing some research and asking questions at the LFS.

We also have a 16g biorb tank with two fantails whereas the water was crystal clear going in and after a couple weeks, the water color turned "rusty" color. The biorb has been running for almost 2 years now and has yet to be "crystal" clear although all levels are within norm. Hmmmm.... as mentioned, I am still very much a novice aquarium owner, but learning as I go.

Thanks much!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

i also added one of our biorb when it was first set up, although now has a rusty tinge to it:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
shellies215 said:
That is strange, what are you using for substrate? did you rinse it? do you have well water or city water?
using black gravel as substrate and rinsed it really good, and we have city water...but have been told it is hard water. I thought the same too...perplexing I tell ya....added some more Prime since first adding the water two weeks ago....so...hoping for the best. I know I am not the only one in the area trying to set up an aquarium...;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts