Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im so glad the cycling is finished. Now I'm looking to stock by next week....due to low funds at the moment...or I would be buying fish today. LOL

I made up a list of the Haps and Peacocks I wanted....but after seeing so many pics on here, Im starting to lean toward Demasoni. I have a 125 gal...72"....lots of rocks...and adding more tomorrow. I've noticed in members pics, that they had like 15 to 30 demasoni in 75 gallons or more. Whats a good M/F ratio for a tank my size? And, are the Demasoni too aggressive for most Haps or Peacocks? I would like to add one or two different species if possible, even if its other Mbuna. Any and all advice would help alot! Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
40,891 Posts
If you go with demasoni I'd stick to mbuna and 20 is a good number to end up with. They will reject any excess males as they mature. Then you could fit another four species if they are not blue-barred fish and medium aggression so you can stock 1m:4f.

I had this type of mbuna tank for two years in my 125G and it was a nice tank.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh ok. Thanks! I'm guessing that juvies will be the way to go.....and I will be ordering from a popular online seller on here. So maybe some yellow labs, and Aceii would be a good idea? And would the ratio be the same with those type? I understand that alot of Mbuna have some drab looking females, so lots of color is what I'm obviously shooting for. :)

·
Super Moderator
40,891 Posts
I had the same stock in the 125G as I have in the 75G with the addition of socolofi and acei in lieu of the cynotilapia sp. hara. No drab females at all. Yes 1m:4f is good for all of these.

Note if you do Labidochromis caeruleus and Metriaclima estherae like I do don't save fry from them since they crossbreed.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok...sounds good. I thank you for all your help since I joined here. I was also considering a few Perlmutt into the mix, or maybe an albino of some sort. Red zebras are also considered.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok here's another question that I couldnt find an answer to. Are Mainganos too similar to Demasoni to put in the same tank? Or if one or two were added to the 15 to 20 Dems juvies mix, could it be a problem in the future?

And to DJRansome.....you have the cynotilapia sp. hara in your tank with no problems? They are gorgeous fish, and I realize they are differently colored. But was just curious, because its a barred fish.

And just one more question. I will be ordering online in the very near future, but I dont have the funds to buy all fish at once, but will be able to buy twice and within a week or 2 from each other. I thought maybe adding yellow labs and red zebras first, and then going with Dems the following week. I would be adding all as juvies. Would it be better to add the more peacefull fish before the more aggressive Dems?

·
Super Moderator
40,891 Posts
Peaceful first and aggressive last, you have it right.

I would not add one-two Maingano, but Maingano can be one of your species with demasoni. You would want 1m:7f Maingano.

The cynos are working OK with the demasoni. They are as different as possible and still be both blue barred fish. Body colors light v dark, fin colors light v dark, bars wide v narrow and bars many v few. It took the males a loooong time to color up though.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great! I appreciate the advice.

Also...I was curious about the BN Plecos, and their chances of surviving in a tank with some agressiveness. Since I am a beginner, I really have no interest at all in raising fry....yet. I know the Synos will "take care" of alot of fry, but I know they really dont eat algae. I really like those Clown Loaches, but they get really big. What would be a decent algae eater in a tank like this?

·
Super Moderator
40,891 Posts
BN pleco. Once they survive initial introduction for a month or two they should be good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts