Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started cycling a 20g L using my internal filter from my established 55g tank. The output of the internal filter is much too strong for the small tank so I will need to remove it prior to adding fish. Based on my water parameters, the tank is close to finished cycling. My guess is 24 hours away. My objective is to establish a new filter asap.
Questions....
I will have a background on the tank, one I ordered from designs by nature. Per their website, the background extends "a few" inches. I assume that means there will be enough room behind the BG for a filter (a hang on?)...or at least I hope. With that said, what filter would work best or would you guys recommend...type and size? I havent used a background before, is it ok or are there issues with placing the filter behind the BG?

Secondly,regarding the internal filter that I used to cycle the tank, can I simply remove the filter(sponge)and leave that in the tank while the new filter establishes itself? More specifically, does the water have to be drawn through the sponge to process the ammonia and nitrite or is it enough to have it just in the tank, submersed behind the bg while the new filter becomes established?

My goal is to get the new filter in the tank today and ready to go for when the background arrives Tuesday.

Thank you in advance for your opinions and thoughts

EDIT: Realized I should mention the tank with house some occies and perhaps a few julies.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Best to leave the established filter running while the new filter gets established. If that's not possible, put all of the media from the establised filter in the new one. If you leave media behind the background where there is little to no circulation, it'll be very ineffective, possibly useless. After any changes, test for ammonia and nitrite for a while.

Any filter needs a clear path for intake and outflow into the tank. I'm not really understanding what you mean by 'behind the background'.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok well, poorly worded and perhaps just a plain ol' dumb question.

I think I understand what I have to do.

I was trying to give you a rest from dealing with me Prov....perhaps I'll spare myself some embarrassment and stick with PMing you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.