Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

This is my first post so go easy on me! I have had my new tank set up for a couple of days. I am doing a fish-less cycle using Seachem Prime and Stability. I am also using an API Freshwater Liquid Test Kit.

The tank has had it's second day of dosing with Seachem Stability. I have tested my water today and these are the results:

High Range pH: 7.8
Ammonia: 0.25 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 40-80 ppm

Is it unusual to have such a high reading of nitrates when the nitrite result is at zero? I have read online that the API test kit can be a little 'iffy' so could this be the reason?? I have just ordered a Colombo Testlab Pro kit as I have been told they are a lot more reliable than the API.

Thanks in advance,

Phil

·
Registered
404 Posts
Those readings would indicate a fully cycled tank but I find that hard to believe in only two days. Like DJ said, have you tested your tap water for nitrates? Also have you added any type of ammonia to the tank? If you haven't added ammonia since you started there is no way your tank could be cycled.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Apologies for the extremely late reply. I've been so busy with buying the house and sorting a school out for the lad. Stressful times!!

Right, I had only been adding flake to the tank as I was still awaiting a bottle of ammonia to come from Amazon. It took best part of a week. I started to add ammonia up to 3ppm about four days ago and I think I've have just had the first showings of Nitrites today. I reckon it's only about 0.25mg/l but it is a start! What do you guys think??

·
Registered
404 Posts
So why are your nitrates so high? Did you test your tap water? If you have over 40 ppm nitrates in your tap water its going to be difficult to maintain an overstocked cichlid tank. You would almost have to run a nitrate filter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.