Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

I've got the 140 set up in the house. I've added the sand, the driftwood, and the water. I've got two Fluval 306s up and running, one of which has filter media from a previously established tank. I'd like to go ahead and begin the cycling process, but I leave on Friday for a conference that I won't be back from until the 15th. Can I start the cycling process, work it until Friday (hoping to at least get the ammonia dealt with) and then let it go for the following week? Will the nitrate level be dealt with in that week? If I come back to a zero reading can I assume the tank has been cycled properly? Or, should I just wait until I return from my work conference to start cycling?

·
Super Moderator
1,837 Posts
I would start the cycling process now using the Fishless Cycling method in my signature (no fish) and then just resume the process on your return from conference. It's hard to say where the cycle process will be in that 2 weeks so just check using your test kit when you get back.

A cycled filter may help with the process while you are gone though every tank is different in how long it takes to fully cycle. Any good bacteria in the tank won't die off but just become dormant until you return.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Deeda said:
I would start the cycling process now using the Fishless Cycling method in my signature (no fish) and then just resume the process on your return from conference. It's hard to say where the cycle process will be in that 2 weeks so just check using your test kit when you get back.

A cycled filter may help with the process while you are gone though every tank is different in how long it takes to fully cycle. Any good bacteria in the tank won't die off but just become dormant until you return.
Thanks! That's what I'll plan on doing!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts