Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WAHOOOOOOO =D> =D> =D>

Only took 39 days!!!!! I tested the nitrites when I got home from work and BOOM!!! 0ppm nitrites 0ppm Ammonia 10-20ppm Nitrates

Went right out to the LFS and got my baby Oscar!!! I thought this day would never come! I feel like I just gave birth

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you...although he/she is so small, about an inch. Of course he's been just hanging behind the bubble wall and not swimming around. I know it might take a day or two to see him swim around, and get used to his surroundings. Just been hangin on the gravel for about an hour.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll take a pic and see if I can try and post. I saw him swimming around a little when the lights were off as soon as I turned them a little he went back to bottom of tank and plays possum. I tried to throw in a few pellets to see if he would eat but he never went to top of tank to get them, so i took em out. How should I play this? as far as when can I expect him to get more comfortable in the tank and start eating? it's been about 3 hours.

He's this little guy in a huge tank it's funny to imagin him getting to be so big. I'll keep testing water and get my Silver dollars next week..hopefully he'll liven up by then or with a few tankmates

·
Banned
406 Posts
39 days :eek: , I know youre excited to finally be done!! Congrats....im cycling my tank now. Cant wait till I can add some cichlids. :D

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
how long for you??

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
really? 2 or 3 days..wow How come?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
They seem to feel "safer" when lights are out.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
why no feeding though?? just tried putting in two pellets to see if he'll go for it. so far nothin. checked water parameters..everything perfect. He's so small, all the currentsin the tank just take him everywhere. Looks like a drunk driver . But he is moving around a lot better. I'm just watching him now, it's like he see's the food, swims near as it floats but doesn't swim high enough to the top.

I think my cat is jealous..she sure stairs at her alot and puts her paws on the tank.

Do you think in a week or so I can add his final tank mates and maybe he will liven up a little?

thoughts?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
It is possible to have too much current.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Just got my first fish today too. Got 4 peacocks but lost one in transit. Have 4 more coming next week. They are doing great. Sure is nice to see something in the tank. Took me also 2 months to cycle. Good luck with your tank. :thumb:

·
Registered
17 Posts
It takes time for the fish to feel comfortable in a new tank. And until that time they will not eat. I would also try to full up stock asap if all parameters are good so everyone get a custom to tank same time kinda take a little away from the bully of tank

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah, I agree..besides If he doesn't eat then no pee or poop..I don't want to BB to starve. I will stop by LFS and add the silver dollars I wanted. Hopefully they still have them.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
here are some pics of my new oscar...he just sits there and does nothing. Also has not eaten in over 24 hours as well. I'm making myself crazy thinking he's sick or has Ich...I have to stop reading "information" online it's making me crazy...I'm becoming obsessed thinking this LFS sold me a sick fish. I feel like I should wait a week or so to see if he starts to act normal and eat before I add any new fish in their. But my question is w/out him creating waste won't my BB starve, and then when I do add new fish it will go into another cycle? don't know

·
Registered
66 Posts
Nice Oscar :thumb:

Oscars are very "dramatic"

I just moved my Uncle's oscar from a 55 gallon to a 125 gallon with a couple of other fish 4 days ago, and today he just realized he was an eating machine again!

Just give him some time lol

1 - 20 of 36 Posts