Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I have been doing the fishless cycling thing here. I have been testing for ammonia and nitrite daily. Anyway, here is the background. 20 gallon tank. 1/2 cap clear ammonia daily bringing levels up to stress type levels (don't ask for parts per mil. I have been working on the either it has ammonia or it doesn't scenario). Goes down to zero within 8-10 hours daily. After ammonia is at zero, I test for nitrites. Anyway, the last 3 days. no nitrites. So I did a 50% water change and went off to the fish store with a sample to test. I was going to buy a couple dither fish for my Multies I have reserved with a local breeder. I ask the LFS to test water. 0 ammonia. Nitrites are high. Nitrates are high as well. Confused and disapointed I head home and test the tank again, and sure enough- Nitrites! again? Now I'm confused. I tested my tap water. No nitrites. I added some aquel when I did the water change. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks. :-? :-?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I dont think you are done cycling. Also not knowing how much ammonia you are putting into your tank could be kinda risky. You dont know how big of a bioload you can start off with without having to go through another mini cycle when you add the fish in.

As for the nitrites being high, im guessing since the tank hasnt fully cycled yet your nitrite hasnt leveled off like the ammonia. Usually ammonia will start to level off with high nitrites then nitrites will soon follow.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fishy714 said:
I dont think you are done cycling. Also not knowing how much ammonia you are putting into your tank could be kinda risky. You dont know how big of a bioload you can start off with without having to go through another mini cycle when you add the fish in.
The half cap full will bring test to about 2 parts per (stress level on my test strip)

fishy714 said:
As for the nitrites being high, im guessing since the tank hasnt fully cycled yet your nitrite hasnt leveled off like the ammonia. Usually ammonia will start to level off with high nitrites then nitrites will soon follow.
The interesting thing about the nitrites is that I had been getting high level reading prior to the 3 days of no nitrites on the tests. It was only after the water change that I began to get nitrite readings again. Puzzling.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Keep adding amonia and keep testing daily until your nitrites zero out. The amonia is still necessary as a food source and the nitrites take a little while to zero out. Once you start getting readings of Amonia 0 and Nitrite 0 within 24 hrs. of adding your amonia....Your finished. Do a large water change to bring nitrAtes down and add your fish.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.