Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I have a 75 gallon tank that is fully cycled! I just got done cycling on April 24. I have been feeding the tank with ammonia every other day yet up to 2ppm. I have been continuing to feed it because the fish I want to order online are not available. But I'm almost 100% sure that I will be able to order my fish on Monday the 2nd.
So my question is how do I go about doing water changes (to get my nitrates down), and dosing with ammonia yet to make sure the bacteria doesn't die off!
Do I just wait until Sunday Night or Monday morning to do my water change. Or do I start sometime soon with a water change here and there to get the level down by Tuesday when the fish will arrive. I just don't understand with the second method if I do a little bit a day, (I would think I would have to feed with ammonia to keep the bacteria alive), how would I keep the bacteria alive and the nitrates down at the same time.

Here is what is going to be ordered if it helps at all: (all juvaniles)
* white top hara : 6-8 (mature ratio of) 1m/3 to 4F
* yellow lab : 10 (mature ratio of) whatever will work
* maingano : 15 (mature ratio of) 1m/6 to 7F
* white tail acei : 10 (mature ratio of) whatever will work
*** when I say whatever will work I mean I hear you don't have to worry about yellow labs and acei ratios all that much from what I understand "correct?".

Thank You for any help!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Ummm you don't plan on keeping all 40 or so fish in a 75 forever do you? And the bacteria mostly lives in the filter

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I will take out any males from each of the species that aren't welcome by the others. That is why I put the ratio of each species in my previous post.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Oh oh sorry now I see. Haha got scared for a minute When I thought you were keeping 40fish lol

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
So my question is how do I go about doing water changes (to get my nitrates down), and dosing with ammonia yet to make sure the bacteria doesn't die off!
Do I just wait until Sunday Night or Monday morning to do my water change. Or do I start sometime soon with a water change here and there to get the level down by Tuesday when the fish will arrive. I just don't understand with the second method if I do a little bit a day, (I would think I would have to feed with ammonia to keep the bacteria alive), how would I keep the bacteria alive and the nitrates down at the same time.
Do water changes daily through Mon evening. Only add one last ammonia dose on Saturday. You should be good to go then. The bacteria won't die, you'll be ok.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
The bacteria are pretty hardy types when it comes to a lack of food- within reason. I think you are on the right track with the fish stocking question. I might go for a bit lower number as I find 6 fish will almost always get me male and female. From there, so much depends on the fish and how they work with each other that I really don't try to predict what will work. I wound up starting my yellow labs with 5 males and 1 female and it worked out okay. The sub dominant just had to wait. I just go in with the thinking that some will need to be changed. If I lived in a really remote area where getting rid of fish was a real problem , I might do it differently, but I have never had to eat any fish to get rid of them! Over crowded tanks and cheap sale prices are my standard.

·
Registered
705 Posts
i just add the tetra cycle boost stuff. cant remember exact name but its like 20 bucks a bottle. (all it is, is beneficial bacteria) worked great. had fish in the tank immediatly after filling and they are still alive to this day. :) (had unwanteds at the time that were gonna be guinea pig fish) GL to ya. id just rather be safe then sorry especially when ur ordering in all your fish can get costly to lose em all...

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have done two water changes on Saturday and Sunday morning after work. About 30% the first day and 50% the next. Right now the color is still the red, but not the super dark red. On Monday morning when I do my water change should I shoot for even more water to take out. My fish are coming in on Tuesday some time, and I would need my water in the tank to gas off by that time to have the ph were it will always be.
So at some point on Monday I have to have the nitrates where at a safe level sense I'm pushing for time now.

So my question is Monday when I get off work how much should I change : 75% or more.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also if the next WC I do doesn't take the nitrates down to a safe level do I dare do another WC before I go to work. This tank needs to be ready by Tuesday. So really it needs to be done by tomorrow night.

Any help would be great.... or if no ones has any suggestion I may just have to do it. :-?

·
Registered
211 Posts
i finished cycling my tank saturday, added the last does of ammonia friday night everything was 0 saturday stocked my 90 with 10 fish.

·
Registered
211 Posts
oh sorry forgot, sunday before I got the fish I did about a 30-35 gallon water change

·
Registered
211 Posts
CorporateGranola said:
prov356 said:
Sounds good, so where are the pics? :)
Quoted for truth.
my pictures? dont worry they will be coming. I will be making a new video this week at some point, im building up the hype!! :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts