Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well thanks to all the tips here, I finally got my tank set up tonight. Washing the sand wasn't as time consuming as I though it would be. It helped having multiple buckets laying around though. I was surprised, while filling up w/ water, it wasn't as cloudy as I thought I'd be. I haven't had time to get the water levels measured yet (still gotta buy a tester). I'm changing my mind on the fake plants now...not a big fan of them.
Generally, how long should I let it cycle for before adding fish? Not that I'm in a hurry or anything :lol:

Enjoy...

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Read up on Fishless cycling. http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/f ... ycling.php You will need tests for Ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. During the cycling process you mostly will be testing Ammonia and nitrites for the duration of the cycle. The whole process averages 4-6 weeks. If you have established gravel or an established filter from another tank, that may speed the process up. Your tank will be cycled when ammonia and nitrite drop to 0ppm and you have significant nitrates. You will do a 50% and after 24 hrs you can add fish. Just read up on the article to give you the specifics.

·
Banned
406 Posts
For me...one tank took 1 week the other tank took 3 weeks. No established media, just upping the temp, adding 5ppm worth of ammonia and using a bubble bar on a general hydro dual diaphragm air pump.

Most say 4-6 week but you can see it varies. :popcorn:

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
rgr4475 said:
Read up on Fishless cycling. http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/f ... ycling.php You will need tests for Ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. During the cycling process you mostly will be testing Ammonia and nitrites for the duration of the cycle. The whole process averages 4-6 weeks. If you have established gravel or an established filter from another tank, that may speed the process up. Your tank will be cycled when you can add 2-3ppm ammonia followed by ammonia and nitrite dropping to 0ppm after 24 hours, and you have significant nitrates. You will do a 50% and after 24 hrs you can add fish. Just read up on the article to give you the specifics.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts