Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an fx5 running in an existing tank to get a bacteria colony going, I intent to move into a new tank that is cycling. How long does it need to run in the existing tank to sufficiently seed the bacteria? Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I would let it run at least a couple weeks, if not 3 to be on the safe side. Also take some of the bio media from the existing filter and place that in with your FX5 bio media to help jump start it would help too.

·
Registered
453 Posts
oilen - just because you set the fx5 up does not mean the bacteria will colonize the media. They only grow to the amount of ammonia produced. As xxbenjamminxx said - add some media from the existing filter to the fx5 but don't count on it becoming 'fully' seeded and able to handle a big load immediately when you move it to the other tank

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I did a similar thing when I got my fx5. I took old media and substrate from established tank, inserted into canister and ran it for about two weeks and all was well. Good luck.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The existing tank I have the fx5 running in is a heavily stocked 125. This is actually the 2nd fx5 I will be running in the new 340 gallon tank (I ran the first fx5 for about 5 weeks before I set that up on the new tank). Is there a concensus on a minimum of two weeks? Thanks all.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Is there a concensus on a minimum of two weeks?
That would be a minimum, but too many variables to say how well it'll work for you, meaning no ammonia/nitrte spikes. 4-6 weeks is best, but a lot depends on fish load. There's been no mention of that here. Lightly stock, llightly feed, and test every 12 hours or so. Be prepared for spikes and be happy if they don't happen.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts