Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...or cycle, plants, fish?

Is there any reason to not go the latter route when setting up a tank?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I personally feel more comfortable with plants first depending on the goal. In my case i need the plants help to soften the water up before i add the fish that require softer water... But no i wouldn't think there is any specific reason that you cant add plants any time.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
if you mean fishless cycle then it can go either of these paths with success...

1. fishless cycle, (fish+ plants)

2. plants, fish

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'd go plants first because that will save disturbing the fish during planting/aquascaping etc. Also giving the plants some time to root before putting fish in is beneficial I think. And if you do get any unwanted guests in the tank (snails perhaps) you've got a chance to get rid of them with a zap of chemicals without harming the fish :fish:

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
zimmy said:
Yes, I meant steps following a fishless cycle.
Thanks.
Since it is a fishless cycle, the only warning I can throw out there is don't fishless cycle with plants in the tank. Although some plants can weather the high ammonia levels plus adapt to your tanks water chemistry at the same time, other plants croak.

Personally, when I setup a planted tank, I plant 60% of the tank, then slowly add fish to allow the plants to adapt to using the fish waste. If I am not doing a planted tank and the tank will only have a few plants, then I fishless cycle, then add fish and plants together.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts