Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sold to me as Cyathopharynx foai 'Sibwesa'. Yes or no, and why? After reading Konings 'Natural Habitat' I thought the gold head's, light unpaired fins, and lack of marbling in the body were all furcifer, but now not so sure. I know there's some debate. Sometimes there's a blue sheen in the body not shown in pics. I thought I read somewhere that both foai and furcifer were found at Sibwesa. So , could it be that this is C. furcifer 'Sibwesa'? This fish doesn't look anything like the majority of pics out there of C. foai 'Sibwesa'. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Beautiful fish Tim and great pics!! The more I see these guys the more I would love one.

Russ

·
Registered
790 Posts
It's a furcifer not foai and is in fact I believe its from mbita.

Also gold on the head or face do not mean its a furcifer, take mbita foai and furcifer for instance they both have gold on the head IMO, but like you said there is much debate on this

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Looks a lot like my Furcifer Kigoma (sold to me as Karilani copper Foai).
As said, yellow/orange on the face/forehead, means Furcifer.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Beautiful fish Tim and great pics!! The more I see these guys the more I would love one.

Russ
I've got about 6 males too many you can have. :) That's the bad luck. I believe I ended up with 7m/4f.

It's a furcifer not foai and is in fact I believe its from mbita.
That was one of my guesses too, but wasn't a perfect match. Look at the ventral fins.

Can't help with the ID. But whatever they are, they're stunning - nice camera work too btw.
Thanks, and thanks again to fmueller for showing me how to get a good pic.

The only reason I do not think it is Kigoma is that if you look at the tail of the OP's the black markings start at the base of the tail like Mbita while Kigoma have more black at the end of the tail.
You're right, and kigoma has the dark anal fin, mine does not.

There are a few species with yellow/orange on the face/forehead
Like I said earlier Mbita furcifer and foai from here have it
You're right, but the one in the video also has the charactistic marbling of foai, mine doesn't.

I really think mine's a furcifer, and not just because of the gold, but also the lack of marbling and the clear fins.

Look at this thread. Scroll down to the pics of Cyathopharynx furcifer "Kantalamba" and Cyathopharynx furcifer "Kasakalawe". These were taken at location. They look more similar than any I've seen.

Regardless, now I have a fish whose location is unknown. Really decreases the value. I can maybe satisfy myself with a guess, but no way I can label this fish without a way to confirm that label through more than pics. And I bought these from a guy who you'd think would do a better job of ID'ing his fish. I don't even know for sure if this fish is foai or furcifer. I just know it's not what it was sold to me as. Maybe I can label it Cyathopharynx 'not' foai 'sibwesa' :) .

its too bad so many people label any Cyathopharynx species "Foai Sibwesa" just to make so extra $$
Interesting comment because I've since seen him demonstrate that it's all about the $$. He'll say anything to sell a fish. I've warned everybody that asks.

Thanks for all the input, btw.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don't know, but going to find out. I just emptied a tank of all but a few gobies. I'm going to move the extra males over and see what they do.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Furcifer158 said:
noddy said:
Looks a lot like my Furcifer Kigoma (sold to me as Karilani copper Foai).
As said, yellow/orange on the face/forehead, means Furcifer.
There are a few species with yellow/orange on the face/forehead
Like I said earlier Mbita furcifer and foai from here have it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dbp6UCI1 ... r_embedded
Yes, sorry, meant to say forehead, I know there are a few with yellow under their chins.
Good point about the lack of black in the anal fin also (I didn't notice it at the time). I know when I went through all this trying to I.D my Kigomas, it took a long time and a lot of forums and opinions to come up with a positive I.D. Good luck Tim.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No response from the German source, but did have an update. I removed the extra males (7), and put them in their own tank. Two have built pits and are colored up and clueless that there are no females in the tank. They just spend their day pushing the other males around.

Back in the main tank I have 1m/3f. The day after removing the extra males I have a female holding.

Now what to do with 7 unidentified males.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dead ringer except for the color on the edge of the anal fin. I've never seen that in mine.

The only thing I really feel confident about calling it is c. furcifer.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.