Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Came across some 1.5" square tube stock (14gauge) and had my welders put this together for me. Real light, only about 30-40lbs.

Designed for dual 55g's. I only plan on putting 33L on top and 40L on the bottom. 49" width on the inside of the legs. Height - up to your discretion.[/img]

2 coats of Rustoleum Automotive Primer

2 coats of Rustoleum Pro High Performance Enamel (Smoke Gray)

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Good job.

The only suggestions I would have is to add one more short support just inside the legs where the short sides of the tank would sit. It would worry me not having the entire footprint of the tank supported. It looks like only the long sides of your tanks will have support.

I just built a dual 55 stand out of 2x4/2x6. Pretty much the same design, but I had to deal with the limitations of wood. I'm actually worried mine is going to hold up to a 55 and 40L, their entire weight will be centralized on the outer short supports that is bolted to the 2x6s.

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
The only way either of those stands fail will be because of an earthquake..

Sleep easy fella's...

·
Registered
220 Posts
rrasco... the enitire weight of the tank is hanging on the bolts that are holding the uprights to the cross-members. The tank should really be sitting on top of the uprights. My 2cents.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
If you would of routed out the area where the bolts go in your support for the 2x4s would of been much stronger. The ones you buy are like this because of wieght. They both look good. You can always unbolt and route them out so not all the weight sits on the bolts. Just my .02

·
Registered
388 Posts
rrascoe, you would be well off to bolt a short section of 2x4 UNDER each rail. Two means of support is always better.
2x4's, in my opinion, are overkill for anything under 125 gallons.
Some simple ship building techniques are all that is really needed.

Disagree?

Look at the stands in your local fish rip-off store. ****, those are made out of OSB!!!!

Put the extra wood under those shelves. Cheap insurance, brudda!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
iwade4fish said:
rrascoe, you would be well off to bolt a short section of 2x4 UNDER each rail. Two means of support is always better.
2x4's, in my opinion, are overkill for anything under 125 gallons.
Some simple ship building techniques are all that is really needed.

Disagree?

Look at the stands in your local fish rip-off store. #%$&, those are made out of OSB!!!!

Put the extra wood under those shelves. Cheap insurance, brudda!
It's funny you should say that. I made a few reinforcements for piece of mind today. I added an extra support under the top tank and I also added small supports that contact the floor for the bottom tank, so that tank is effectively sitting on the ground. Tanks are up and running, no problems so far.

·
Registered
63 Posts
the 1/4 tubing is gonna hold man. i am with the other poster up there the only thing thats gonna make these things unstable is an earthquake.
when i built the 2 i have built i used 4x4 post an 2x6's its strong as nails

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
Those cross pieces that you added are worth their weight in gold as far as peace of mind..

I just know the shear strength of the lag bolts that you used & it will take a lot more than the weight of 110 gallons of water to cause them to fail.. JMO of course. The cross braces + the lag bolts absolutely aren't going anywhere. Besides, 2X4's are cheap.

Good job. :thumb:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts