Cichlid Fish Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
2,106 Posts
@V3NOMUS : Great looking tank and cabinet. Can you share some more details on the upper cabinet? I really like how it is floating above the tank, and might be something I'd want to consider for my planted 90.

Also, the tags/labels on those tanks look very familiar, are you by chance in the MA area?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Really nice tank. I love it!

I noticed something that I didn't see anyone else point out about the fish you're looking at. It's this - those prices are higher than a cat's ... um ... butt. I would expect to pay around $40-$60 for a fully colored male peacock, so paying $40 for a Cobue cichlid would hurt my brain. I ordered most of my fish online, and the prices were 1/4 to 1/3 of what I'm seeing in your pictures.

Overnight Shipping is only about $40-80, so with the price differential, it might make fiscal sense to look into the online option. I'm happy to share vendor experiences and recommendations.

Given the somewhat unique shape of your tank, I personally would stock it with LOTS of small mbuna and then also some male peacocks for a pop of color if you wanted to. My personal stocking list would start with the following and then add whatever SWMBO said she also wanted.

- Astatotilapia Flaviijosephi (If you find any, let me know, and I'll buy some too :) )

But seriously though
  • Chindongo Saulosi (blue/black barred males and yellow females)
  • Cynotilapia Afra Cobue (Males are yellow, black and blue) Females can vary from grey to striped silver. They change color pretty rapidly depending on their mood)
  • Labidichromis Joanjohnsonae (Females are orange/blue/silver plaid. Yeah, plaid. They're so pretty. Males turn blue)
  • Rusty Cichlids (Iodotropheus sprengerae) (brownish velvety looking fish where the males turn lavender.)
  • Astatotilapia latofasciatus (zebra obliquidens) (not an mbuna, but I find they mix well)

I would also put in 4 male peacocks to get some red/pink/orange if you'd like. They are hard colors to get.

To be clear, this is somewhat controversial, non-standard advice, but I'm finding it's working well for me.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Looks great, is the fireplace functional? I set up a new tank recently next to my fireplace and I haven’t burned in it yet, but I wondered if the heat from the fire could increase water temps. Have you ever noticed this?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Yes, completely functional. It's a gas fireplace that's closed in up top, so all the heat comes forward, not up through the stack like traditional wood burning fireplaces. I haven't noticed any type of rising temperatures in the tank while it was on. Could be due to the overflow box being closest to the fireplace as well. Not sure.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
So I think I've narrowed it down to mostly peacocks. Been looking online a so many fish. Seems like they're the most calmest of them if I remember correctly?
Couple questions.
As long as it's a peacock, I can put them together? I seen they come in tons of colors, and I would like a mixture if possible due to having a large tank.
2nd, any chemicals I need to add to my water? Lake salt or anything like that?
3rd, what are the best parameters I need to shoot for?
What other type of tank mates (ie. Pleco and such for clean up) can they be paired with?
And lastly, I know I need to add fish slowly as to not spike the tank, but how many do you think I'd be able to end up with? Tank itself is roughly 180 gallons and sump has around 40 gallons in it at all times.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
40,890 Posts
As long as it's a peacock, I can put them together? I seen they come in tons of colors, and I would like a mixture if possible due to having a large tank.
No. Don't forget this is a 40" tank and ideal for peacocks is 48" or longer. You have more than the average width so that helps...but you don't have much length to manage aggression so choose less aggressive peacocks such as stuartgranti. Also if you are going all male, then choose peacocks that look nothing alike. At the extreme, this could mean one yellow, one red, one blue.
2nd, any chemicals I need to add to my water? Lake salt or anything like that?
What are your test results for pH?
3rd, what are the best parameters I need to shoot for?
Best to keep the water near your tap water as long as your pH is 7.6 or higher.
What other type of tank mates (ie. Pleco and such for clean up) can they be paired with?
Bristlenose pleco for algae on the glass. Synodontis lucipinnis are good tank mates, but not for cleanup...they are expensive and live 30 years so only get them if you like them for themselves.
And lastly, I know I need to add fish slowly as to not spike the tank, but how many do you think I'd be able to end up with? Tank itself is roughly 180 gallons and sump has around 40 gallons in it at all times.
Not true...best to add all the fish at once as long as you cycle with ammonia before you add fish. I would shoot for 12 males that mature at or less than six inches. And I would stock haps as well as peacocks so you have more fish that look nothing alike.

Reactions: Deeda

·
Super Moderator
2,015 Posts
No test result for ammonia? I am assuming you haven't started cycling this tank since your nitrate test is 0 ppm?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
That's the only test results I got right now doing just a home test kit. Tanks been up and running since Thanksgiving day. Not adding fish for another month or so as I'm going on vacation in a few weeks. Only thing added at time of start up was biological bacteria and dechlorinator.

·
Registered
242 Posts
You have to have ammonia in the tank for the bacteria to be able to start (and complete) the cycle

·
Super Moderator
40,890 Posts
Agree with Deeda and DutchAJ. Nothing has happened since Thanksgiving because you did not add ammonia. Allow six weeks for the tank to cycle on average. Check out the Cichlid-forum Library article on cycling with ammonia to begin.

If you added bottled bacteria...check the directions. You likely had to add the fish at the same time to provide a source of ammonia. I do not recommend using bottled bacteria or relying on it to cycle your tank...proof is that you have no nitrate.

Reactions: DutchAJ
21 - 33 of 33 Posts