Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just getting back into the hobby after about 10 years. Got a 55 for now to ease my fiancee into it (she's only had 1 goldfish, nothing like cichlids). I've got 8 peacocks (4 assorted, 2 I believe to be Baenschi, 2 Ngara flame tail) and a Lethrinops Red Cap hap - all males, from what I've been told though I think 1 of the assorted is a female. The 1 blood dragon is the boss, does a good amount of chasing but everyone else seems to get along. Is 9 enough for a 55 or should I maybe get a few more? I know they do better in 75g+ but I'm limited on space and permission from the missus. I think 9 is good but wouldn't mind getting one or two 3" males as well. Running an AC 110, though will likely get a canister or a 2nd 110 when they start getting bigger. Any suggestions/opinions welcome!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
You could probably get away with 2 or 3 more. You'll probably have to swap out the ones you have duplicates of, 2 males that look similar will normally fight for dominance. Also the lethrinops may not do to well, they are pretty wimpy.

·
Super Moderator
40,713 Posts
Yes and the dragon blood, being a hybrid, may be on the aggressive side and inhibit the stuartgranti from showing full color.

In a 55G I like 8-10 males that mature <= six inches.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The one I suspected to be female was caught mating with the male dragon blood this morning, so I am bringing her to the LFS. We're going to get a couple more males and hopefully leave it at that for a while. The dragon blood was getting super aggressive towards the others while trying to breed, since taking the female out the others have started coloring up and the dragon blood has cooled down.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts