Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
I wouldn't worry about too much flow for mbuna.

I started off with a Fluval FX6 and two sponge filters in my 75 gallon. I actually thought the flow from the FX6 would be much more disruptive than it actually is.

I thought the FX6 would be overkill, but having seen it in action, I actually wouldn't go anything less than an FX6 or equivalent in a 75 gallon mbuna tank.

I still have the FX6 and sponge filters, but also just added a Seachem Tidal 110.

The fish seem completely unaffected by the amount of flow in this tank.

For a 55 gallon, I don't think I'd go any less than an FX4 or equivalent. A fully stocked mbuna tank is a huge bioload, so bio media capacity is important, but mechanical filtration is also something to consider if you don't want a ton of **** constantly floating around and piling up on your substrate.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Mbuna live in fairly shallow water, and when the wind picks up on that big lake, i think the waves can get pretty intense. I've seen underwater footage on YouTube of mbuna in Lake Malawi getting tossed around pretty good.

If your fish appear to be struggling with the current in your tank, you could get rid of the wave maker, but I have a feeling it won't be an issue. It certainly won't kill them to at least try it out.

Edit: Sorry, I only read the original post. Didn't bother reading any of the replies initially, but it looks like you've got it figured.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts