Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the deal :)

In the new troph tank, I just installed a new pump in the bio filter... The tank itself is 90G, the pump is now giving an output of +/- 600 Gph... This enters the tank in 1 tube... It's like a whrilpool... At first sight, my trophs seem to like it.
Has this got any disadvantages? Do they really like it, or are they just confused now? :)

The current is really high right now.

Can this have negative impact? (it's possible to turn the current down somewhat on the pump itself)

Thx!

Koen

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
I know of no negative impact (I like you think they enjoy it) except they like an area of low current when breeding.

If you want less water movement in the tank I would not turn the outflow down I would just point it in a direction that dose not cause so much swirling in the tank.

G

·
I have a zero-head 900gph (Eheim 1262) in a 120 supplying three UGJ's and a just submerged spray bar creating a counter clockwise flow (as viewed from the front of the tank). During the day the trophs all swim in formation into the current and at night they find shelter from the current in the rocks. Its like an Endless Pool (TM) for them and the oversized sponge filter on the pump quickly collects brown nasties.

My impression is that the current makes it tougher for more dominant fish to pick on the others. I see very little lip locking and only one (of 23) fish hanging about near the surface. I also see no mating other than tail wagging. OTOH, they are still juveniles at < 1 year old.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts