Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 125 gal is off to a rough start.

Just received 4 Biotodoma cupido, 4 Guianacara, and 1 LDA01 from the Wet Spot in Portland. Shipment took 2 days which was even though I was told it would "probably" make it in 1 day. The Biotodoma looked ok but not great upon arrival, the others seemed fine. However, the Biotodoma deteriorated rapidly; all 4 died in less than 24 hours.

I've not had experience with "pop-eye" before, but they all had extraordinarily large, bulging eyes. Here is a photo of 3 of the deceased cupids:

Any pop-eye experts out there? Is this it?

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Did they have the pop eye before they died? What happens to a fish's body shortly after death doesn't always say a whole lot about what killed them.

Generally fish get pop eye as a result of poor water conditions. It could be that there was a build up of waste and therefore ammonia in their shipping bags. I wouldn't necessarily blame the place you bought them from because it's one of those things that can happen, BUT I would definitely tell them about it and see if they'll do anything for you--I think they should--two days is not a long time. I've had fish shipped from Texas up here to Maine, took a couple of days and all fish arrived perfectly healthy

See what they say and good luck

Robin

Did you do anything to acclimate them? Not just temperature-wise.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Robin said:
Did they have the pop eye before they died? What happens to a fish's body shortly after death doesn't always say a whole lot about what killed them.

Generally fish get pop eye as a result of poor water conditions. It could be that there was a build up of waste and therefore ammonia in their shipping bags. I wouldn't necessarily blame the place you bought them from because it's one of those things that can happen, BUT I would definitely tell them about it and see if they'll do anything for you--I think they should--two days is not a long time. I've had fish shipped from Texas up here to Maine, took a couple of days and all fish arrived perfectly healthy

See what they say and good luck

Robin

Did you do anything to acclimate them? Not just temperature-wise.
Hi Robin,

The eyes were bulging well before they died. They were sluggish when they arrived and gradually deteriorated. I also received 4 Guianacara and a pleco in the same shipment and they were in far better condition, very active and without any evidence of stress. The Guianacara and pleco remain in good condition and very active. I am treating the Guinacara and pleco with Maracyn2 because they were in the same tank with the Biotodoma (a 29 gal quarantine tank, which is where I put all new arrivals for this very reason). These are small fish (<2") there isn't an overcrowding or water quality issue.

My water chem at the time of introduction was stellar. The source is a research-grade RO system. The RO water was conditioned with neutral regulator. The tank cycled for 3 weeks through an FX5 containing peat, biomax, foam, and polishing pad. The tank had completely cycled. Ammonia was nil at time of introduction to the tank (and during the time following), pH 6.8, conductivity 100 uS/cm, temp 27C. I put the bags of fish into the tank until the temperature equilibrated. I followed by adding small amounts of tank water until the water in the bag was thoroughly diluted by the tank water. Then I added the fish. Should I have done something else to acclimate them? Suggestions welcomed.

At any rate, the photos document the condition of the fish immediately following death, particularly the upper two, which were probably not legally "dead" when I pulled them from the tank.

My understanding is that popeye can sometimes result from supersaturation of DO. Fish are shipped in bags with pure 02 which causes DO to supersaturate (>300% saturation, 25mg/L and higher). Is anyone aware of supersaturated DO in shipping bags causing popeye?

Oh, and I did email the seller to let them know. I'd appreciate receiving store credit although the shipping costs more than the fish, so I might just use the credit for supplies if they are willing to do so.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I reported the demise of my Biotodoma cupido to the Wet Spot, the dealer who sold and shipped the fish. I sent the photo of the 3 dead fish (pop-eye, dead within <24 hour after receipt) and also reported that the other fish (of the 4 I purchased) was dead on arrival. I asked for store credit for these dead fish. I sent this message by email so that it would be on record within 24 hours of receipt. This was last Friday evening.

So, I hear nothing all weekend. I call on Monday AM and reach the guy who sold me the fish and the New World fish "expert" on staff who orders the fish. He sheepishly acknowledges receipt of my email and basically stammered for a while until saying that he needed to talk to the "boss" to see what to do. He said he'd call me back by the end of the day or send an email.

Nothing. Big surprise.

Finally, tonight, I received an email. They'll replace the one fish that was DOA but not the other 3. So, I have an $8 fish credit for a shipment that will cost me at least $50 to receive it if I want it (the previous shipment was $65). They're pretty much saying "we know you won't want to pay to ship one fish, so you'll either buy more or walk away." Frustrating, and disappointing. Thought they were better than this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts