Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I want to feed my kenyi cucumbers, i have tried putting a small slice at the bottom with a tooth pick threw it but my fish are ignoring it, idk what to do, how long should I leave it in there? Is there a better way to feed them this

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well I wouldn't leave it in there for more than like an hour or two. Also you could use a veggie clip that sticks on the side of the glass with a suction cup (can find it at petsmart or lfs pretty cheap). I, personally,don't know if Kenyi are supposed to eat cucumber. But I use the veggie clip for seaweed.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I just drop it in from the top. Cut into small cubes so it can fit in their mouths.
My fish took to it straight away but yours may need to understand what it is first.
Do they eat peas? have you tried that?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no they have not tried peas, how do u prepare it, I have frozen ones.

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
All my mbuna eat cucumber and other veges, but some are more interested than others, and it takes a while for them to figure out it's food. They like the seeds best. You can leave it in for 10 hours...gives them time to figure it out. I cut a whole one in half the long way and stick a fork in it so it will sink.

Peas, thaw frozen ones and squeeze the inside out of the coating. That way they are squishy enough for the fish to bite. I did have a Synodontis juvie choke to death on a bite of a pea once.

Romaine lettuce is good too. But they and I like the cucumber best...remains are easy to remove unlike pea fragments and lettuce shreds.

I feed veges for an occasional novelty...mostly I feed NLS exclusively.

·
Registered
291 Posts
for any veggie I put it in boiling water just so it's soft then dunk it in ice water. (blanch)
My fish won't really eat it if it's not softened first. Then I just rubberband whatever it is to some driftwood.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think boiling makes it loose alot of nutritional value though ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.