Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to put some crushed limestone in my trickle filter in an efford to bring the hardness and pH up, and I was wondering... is there any reason not to just fill up the whole media compartment with the stuff and use it as my biomedia? I'll be using some sort of filter pad to keep it from clogging (still debating whether to buy something aquaria specific or just get quilt batting and toss it once a week).

The trickle filter will be made out of a 30lb kitty litter tub (I'm guessing it will hold about 3 gallons of media) sitting in/on a 10 gallon tank (it doesn't touch the bottom), being used to filter a 29 gallon tang tank.

Given the overkill nature of the filtration vs. tank size I'm sure it will suffice in this case, but I wonder if it would be a reasonable approach on a larger, say 55 or 75 gallon tank?

I'm hoping to ensure maximum buffering by running the water over/through the limestone it in the trickle filter, but is the coating of bacteria going to preven the limestone from leaching into the water? I might be better off using another bio media and just put a layer of limestone on the bottom of the sump if that's the case?

thanks,
Rick

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Used as a bio-media I think it would loose its effectiveness as a buffer for a larger more heavily stocked aquarium once the bacterias have covered it. I'm assuming this filter is for your Shelly tank and in that case you probably wouldn't need near the area 3 gallons of bio-media would provide.

Maybe you could use the limestone in the bottom half of the bio-chamber placed inside of nylons with a handfull of scrubbie pads over the top of that for bacteria growth. Pulling the pads out every once in a while to stir up the buffer would be fairly easy and adding some more of it to the bottom of your sump would insure a steady supply of leach into your water column.

If you decide to use the sump for a larger aquarium in the future it would be allready set up to add more scrubbie pads and move the nylon shrouded limestone to the sump.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts