Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi…Iv heared that using a bag of crushed coral inside ur filters can actually help in buffering and raising the ph of the aquarium…I just would like to know how much amount of crushed coral should i use for my 300G and how long would it actually take for it to expire?also instead of crushed coral in a bag can aragonite sand be also used in the same way or can than be only used a s a substrate only?
Thanx in advance😇

·
Registered
62 Posts
Not sure about aragonite in your media bag, but I see crushed coral used this way. I use crushed up limestone in my filter media bags. I had some limestone bases I busted up into fairly small pieces and use that. But the crushed coral would be much easier.
There is no reason to not use aragonite in your media except for how much it will raise your PH. Its perfectly safe. Maybe Google the PH of both substances and see?
I am using aragonite as my substrate and it is doing the job. I do water changes with soft water and do not buffer or add anything to it. No apparent problems so far and none expected. But the PH does come down a little at water changes.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure about aragonite in your media bag, but I see crushed coral used this way. I use crushed up limestone in my filter media bags. I had some limestone bases I busted up into fairly small pieces and use that. But the crushed coral would be much easier.
There is no reason to not use aragonite in your media except for how much it will raise your PH. Its perfectly safe. Maybe Google the PH of both substances and see?
I am using aragonite as my substrate and it is doing the job. I do water changes with soft water and do not buffer or add anything to it. No apparent problems so far and none expected. But the PH does come down a little at water changes.
Ok…thanx a lot…can i knw hw much ur ph is just because of the aragonite sand since you dont add anything else for the ph?…

·
Super Moderator
2,343 Posts
@Muhammed Hisham , why do you think you need to raise the pH of your tank? What is your current tank pH as well as the pH of your source (tap) water?

If your KH (alkalinity) is low from your source water, buffering may help maintain a higher pH level in the tank.

Do you test for pH, GH (hardness) and KH? If so, what are your test results?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ok…thanx a lot…can i knw hw much ur ph is just because of the aragonite sand since you dont add anything else for the ph?…
When I started the tank with aragonite substrate my reading was about 8.2. It dropped to about 8.0 after a 50% water change. I must admit I have not done much water testing as things are going so well. I should though as my tap water is quite soft.
With the combination of the crushed up limestone in both filter media bags in another (40) tank with pool sand I had reading around 8.0 which is quite good due to my soft tap water. My Mbuna tank has aragonite substrate and both HOB's have limestone in them.
This thread has me thinking to do some testing today. I have the 40 gallon that has no fish. So I need to know. I also may have to dose some ammonia as there is nothing for the BB to feed on. It was fully cycled when I moved the fish out.
I have been transferring the water from the Mbuna tank to the empty (40) tank at water changes. Then adding fresh water to the Mbuna tank.
I tested the water at the store where I bought my yellow labs and it was 7.5. They were very healthy and beautiful. I am thinking they were raised in this water condition. So maybe there were accustomed to this PH?

So I think adding aragonite or crushed coral to your filter media should help considerably. However it will take time to come up. It took 2 weeks for my last tank.
You could also use some limestone in the tank as hardscape. This would work well. Its fairly inexpensive. The bases I had were pure white and quite porous. I added them to a tropical tank once and had to remove them the next day. The PH shot up real quick and was to high for the fish.
So I assume this may be a good idea for you. Good luck.

@Deeda. I have the API GH/KH test kit and cannot get a reliable reading. I cannot explain as it was a complicated question when I asked it before. But I have found the test kit to be very hard to use and I have not been able to reliably know the results. Almost like the water is out of test parameters even before adding any test solution?
Any other easier test kit for testing GH/KH? I will attempt to use the API kit again that way I can explian what my issue is.

·
Registered
613 Posts
For my multis I have been using aragonite sand from the Bahamas (the real stuff) & a big piece of Texas Holey Rock (limestone) in the aquarium which breaks line of sight. My water source has a 3 degree kH and the combination above helps to buffer and maintain the pH.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Muhammed Hisham , why do you think you need to raise the pH of your tank? What is your current tank pH as well as the pH of your source (tap) water?

If your KH (alkalinity) is low from your source water, buffering may help maintain a higher pH level in the tank.

Do you test for pH, GH (hardness) and KH? If so, what are your test results?
My ph in the tank is around 7-7.2 now with the api kit…i dont have the test kit for kh and gh actually…my tap water ph was also in the same range but i donno y but its around 6.4 now and its rainy season here too…i use well water by the way…just to be on the safer side i think keeping a bag of coral in the sump would keep my worries abt the fluctuating ph right?also would also benefit the africans as they like higher ph too…

1 - 8 of 8 Posts