Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well - My 200g all MALE hap/peacock tank didn't quite end up all male as my placidochromis tanzania has a mouth full of eggs. I was wondering why, after close to a year, it hadn't gotten any splotches and now I know why.

The only question is who is the dad. What all is likely to cross-breed? I have other placidochromis (Milomo, Jalo Reef) but they're fairly small.

Could another type (hap, peacock) spawn? Or, perhaps it's just a mouth full of dead eggs - but she's had them in for a solid 10 days now and they're growing larger.

Regardless - none of these little heathen babies will be allowed out of the tank....except maybe thrown into the frontosa tank. Sad - but responsible.

·
Registered
9,100 Posts
Not sure if anyone has researched what Malawi cichlids will NOT mix, but yes they may well breed with many other Haps and Aulonocara and have fertile eggs. If you think the Jalo Reef Placidochromis is just too small, then just look at the alpha male in the tank, or another male that shows full color, and they may have breed with the female.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
haha - ok, got it. So it could basically be anybody.

I guess I'll just wait and see what comes out. I was going to strip her and dispose of the eggs but I guess it's all the same at this point and I'm curious what we're going to get.

Thanks for the answer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts