Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is 75 gal tank for sale for a good deal by me but the plastic cross brace on the top was melted from the light being to close so is missing about 4 inches of it. Is this peice necessary for the integrity of the tank? If it is needed can it be replaced easily?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I had this happen on a 29g high and you could see the glass bow out some. On a 75 gallon, I wouldn't risk it. I don't know how else to fix it other than getting the entire top trim piece off another tank and replacing it on your tank. Purhaps someone else has another idea for you.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
I once bought a used 40g, and when I got home I noticed that someone had removed the center brace. :? It bowed, and that was only a 3 foot span with only ~300 lbs of water.

So, I took out the strongest adhesive I had, cut a piece of thick acrylic, 1" wide, to fit inside the top frame. I lightly clamped the empty tank, set the glue, and viola- no bow.

So, if the tank is at a really good price, it can be fixed. Or even better- barter the price down because of the defect. :thumb:

While you are at it- remember that you can get a new 75g tank for about $75 on sale at major retailers once and awhile.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.