Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've thought about this until I can't see straight... I want to shuffle around my current fish and add some species I've admired for a while. So far, this is the best plan I've come up with... anyone see any big red flags in any of these groups? Stocking numbers assume starting with juvies and decreasing as problems arise, hybrids aren't a concern as they'll live and die in my tanks. ** indicates fish I already have, * indicates fish that I have a few of, but would bump up the numbers if these stockings work. So, here we go, the longest stocking thread ever... (BTW, all of these are 4' tanks):

50 gallon: (I know the numbers seem high on this one, but the profiles list these species as 4" and 3.5" respectively, so I'm taking some liberties with higher numbers)
12 m. pulpicans**
8 chailosi

55 gallon:
7 red zebras**
6 albino greshakei*
15 demasoni**

60 gallon:
6 yellow labs**
6 rusties**
6 cobalts**

75 gallon:
7 itungi acei**
7 msobo*
6 hongi*
6 nkhata bay labs

90 gallon:
1 OB peacock (I know not ideal - I got him before I knew better)**
6 Blueberry OB zebras
6 L. chisumulae*
6 socolofi
6 Williamsi Makonde North

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
My head's already spinning. I'm not going to try to rearrange everything, because I'd go nuts. But one suggestion I have right off the bat is to move the peacock into the 60 with the labs, etc. That tank is understocked as is, and I think that combination will be easier for the peacock to handle (no possible aggression from the OB zebras, for example).

I've kept a huge, mean male greshakei with a colony of RZ before, so I think that tank will work. There was no cross-breeding between those two.

I don't see any glaring no-no's in what you've proposed here, other than the peacock thing. You've done a good job of mixing up colors/patterns, so I think you're eliminating a lot of possible issues there.

·
Administrator
41,827 Posts
Concerns:
50G two blue barred species
55G two metriaclima

I have not read experiences from other members that greshakei and estherae will not crossbreed, but it would be a concern for me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input (and for reading through that mess!).

Actually, the peacock is currently in the 60, so if the aggression level in the 90 isn't a good fit, I could always leave him. I'd just figured I'd move him because I think his color would be a nice fit in the 90's proposed stock, but he can stay where he is if that's best.

The greshakeis are currently split between the 55 (1 male) and the 60 (2 presumed females based on appearance). The smaller "females" weren't doing great in the 55, so I moved them over to grow a little. The male greshakei and the dominant male RZ are getting to a size and age that I'm afraid that WWIII is going to break out (so far, there's no atypical aggression, though) over the RZ females though. The other greshakeis are bigger now, and I think a few more females would help them fare okay back with the male. I don't really care if the RZ and greshakei crossbreed since I'm not planning to save fry. I'm just hoping to avoid a war.

DJR - chailosi are blue barred? Though I've seen pics that make them appear blue, I was under the impression that they're basically yellow with black bars and some blue "highlighting" that gets picked up flash photos (hence the fact that they look blue in some pics). In fact, I made a post to that effect, since I've seen pics of males that look blue and pics that look yellow, and the consensus seemed to be that males are yellow, but can appear blue in pics. You're an expert though, so if you've seen males that you'd consider BB in person, I'll swap the chailosi for something else.

And, for a final question, and I think this a big no; but anybody think I could get away with a 4th species in the 60 gallon with the labs, rusties, and cobalts? The footprint is identical to a 55, the tank is just taller. Off the top of my head, something like an afra species or maybe elongatus chewere? I think that's probably pushing it too far, but while I'm asking, I'll throw it out there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.