Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I was recently given 100 or 110gal tank (was told its 110 but measures to be closer to a 100gal) I was told it was made by oceanic its 60x 18x 21.5 with 3/8" glass

The previous owner cracked the bottom pane (wasn't tempered) and gave me it, the stand a and a set of t-5 lights
the issue was the bottom is cracked from corner to opposite corner. Does anyone think its possible to repair or is it to risky? I have removed the bottom trim/frame and began to cut out the silicone but i am having trouble removing and separating the base glass from the sides anyone have any suggestions? next is i ordered a sheet of 60x18x1/2" tempered glass to repair it with it wont be in till after the weekend what precautions should i take? or tips or advice from someone that has experience or a link to a step by step guide of what to do.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
To separate the sides and base i have been taking a razor blade and cutting into the joint im just nervous about chipping and causing a side to crack. should i be concerned? is ther any good solvent that will remove silicone off the glass edge and surface?

·
Super Moderator
1,856 Posts
No solvent I am aware of that removes silicone sealant.

Is the bottom pane of glass recessed between the side panes of glass?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Braided fishing line. 30lb test. Ask a buddy or co-worker, bet someone you know has some, it's 10 - 15bucks a spool, so ask around. wear gloves, it will slice your finger clear off, but will cut that silicone like a hot knife thru butter. Hope that helps!!

·
Registered
319 Posts
You could glue a second pane of glass over top of the original one. Just make it 1/8" smaller than the original. The center brace would have to be removed to fit it in and replaced with a strip of glass.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yea I have a 80G tank that the bottom cracked for the owner before me and he just stuck a sheet of glass in above it. It works perfectly normal. :fish:

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
There is a solvent for removing silicone, but if you use it you may have to totally deconstruct the tank if you get it into the corners. When I looked at it a number of years ago, it seems I thought it was basically paint stripper ( methylene chloride). i suspect it wouldn't help much for this job as it would be impossible to get it into the joint. Fishing line or really fine wire is probably the best choice. An entire reseal will be necessary after the bottom is replaced.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts