Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
Im new to Clichid keeping and I just recently got a male convict. He is very mellow and shy but thats to be expected from a new fish. I am trying to figure out what I can put inside my 20 gal long tank with him. I was thinking about getting a female also but have heard that they are extremely aggressive especially when spawning and I dont want them to kill the others. So I've been looking at a variety of other cichlid species nd also some oscars not sure which way I want to go yet so maybe you guys could give me a hand. Im eager to hear your suggestions!!! :popcorn:

·
Registered
190 Posts
g'morning

I can't really offer much other than Oscars grow way to big and way to fast to be in a 20 for more than a month max by himself ... i know from experience lol
As far as convicts, all I have heard is that they breed like aqua bunnies
but there are a lot of extremely knowledgable, experienced, and helpful ppl on here so your def in the right place
thats really all I have to offer other than a welcome

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Convicts can get to 6" so he may be the only thing you can keep. Do you plan on upgrading to a larger tank?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Flippercon said:
Convicts can get to 6" so he may be the only thing you can keep. Do you plan on upgrading to a larger tank?
Yes I am aware that in order to keep other species of cichlid I would have to upgrade my tank to a much larger size. In terms of other fish outside the cichlid species I would like to integrate into the aquarium, I was told the fish should be equally aggressive and equal in size to prevent the Convict from bullying it or eating it. If you kno any other species of fish that would do well with my convict could you please enlighten me. :fish:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Rell30 said:
Flippercon said:
Yes I am aware that in order to keep other species of cichlid I would have to upgrade my tank to a much larger size. In terms of other fish outside the cichlid species I would like to integrate into the aquarium, I was told the fish should be equally aggressive and equal in size to prevent the Convict from bullying it or eating it. If you kno any other species of fish that would do well with my convict could you please enlighten me. :fish:
Well you would be looking at larger bodied tetras or giant danios. The 20 long doesn't give you many options . It's a rough one. Maybe someone else can chime in.

·
Registered
228 Posts
you could put a feamale and male convict in a 20gal long and they will do just fine.... but u will have lots and lots of babies to get ride of lol

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a electric blue (about 4")and a bumble bee (about 5")cichlid with 2 females and the convicts think they are boss. They dont pick at them but the do flare up and chase the other fish. I have them in a 55gal. There are other fish in it as well but the electric and bumble bee are my biggest in it. Not sure if you get larger or equal aggressive fish will help. And if you go with a pair you will have so many babies to get rid of. I say stick with what you have till you upgrade you tank. If you don't you will be getting a new tank sooner than you think or taking beat up or dead fish back.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you the tetras and the giant danios seem like a good suggestion and also I was thinking about a female but I don't know if those are the only fish I want in there. Would it be possible to have a male and female convict in a larger tank with other fish as long as there is enough room where they wont be in each others way and plenty of places for the fish to hide also??

·
Registered
55 Posts
You can have a male and female pair but I wouldn't do it unless you want lots of babies I have the two females and have been told to get two males to pair them so I can use the babies as food. Not sure I want to do that. I will have to remove some of my fish now and I am not ready to get a new tank. I think that may be a option when I set up a new tank but then I have to cross the bridge of the wife not liking the idea of using babies as food.

Either way if u pair him you will have lots of babies.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes thats also another issue. I cant fathom myself using the babies as food but i know the problem of what to do with them would present itself also and I have no clue what to do. smh

·
Registered
982 Posts
I'd say a female con or 5-6 smaller tetras or livebarers (like platties or swordtails). I wouldn't add any cichlids otherwise, because that tank it small for most cichlids. You would likeley to have aggression issues in the future. Just because the con seems peaceful now doesn't mean he won't be aggressive to other cichlids. Cichlids are usually aggressive to other cichlids, and not other types of fish.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh no!!! :( I cnt get rid of my convict. Im doin my research on the platties and the swordtails now. THank 4 da suggestion

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there. I'm 6 months in to fish keeping and learning all the time.

I got a big tank as I purchased a oscar who did not far very well in a smaller tank (fowls up quickly as they are pretty dirty). I then adopted another oscar as the owner needed to find a home for him (luckily thy get along) but was also given 8 convicts. Wellll I'm learning real fast about convicts as one pair have just had babies (probably about 100 of them) and another pair about to have babies as they are having the same behavoiur.
The silver shark who did not have any problems with the fish mix is now getting picked on big time with scale damange from the convicts and they will do what ever it takes to look after there young and even the poor old oscars are bailed up in the corner of the tank, I figure as long as as I dont let them get to hungry they will not take on the convicts for the young.

If I could start all over again I would just have the convicts, they are amazing to watch as they prepare to breed. allow lots of hole caves for them to next in and give them all different areas of the tank for there area.
Watching the mum and dad keep there 100 plus kids together is amazing, they create little walls of sand by blowing it around to keep them in a makeshift play pen so to speak, and if they stray they suck them up and spit them back into the nursury. Its a lot of fun, but not for my other fish at the moment I'm afrain.
Good luck with your selection. I'm hopeing my pet shop is going to take a lot of the babies from me.
cheers

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow! I definitely would love to witness that but am really scared about the convicts getting to aggressive defending their young and killing other fish. I just see that these fish will either have to be small and fast or to big to be eaten by them. I will keep you guys posted on whats happening in convict world!! :thumb: lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts