Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK,

So I am new to the aquarium world. I have a 75 gallon tank running an FX5 filter with two trays of biomax and one tray of charcoal (which I'm planning on changing to bio-balls here shortly). I cycled my tank with Dr. Tim's One and Only. So last last night I got my fish, 6 DOA (4 Demonsani, 1 yellow lab and 1 socolofi), I purchased the fish from Cichlid Express/Daytona Beach Aquarium.

So I get home from the airport with my fish, put the bags of fish in the tank to get them acclimated. After about an hour, I put the fish in (just the fish, no water from the bags). In hindsight I should have inspected each fish before putting them in the tank. After getting all the fish in the tank, I noticed one of the yellow tailed acei with what looks to be one swollen eye, which was a little cloudy. Funny, he came right up to the front of the tank and showed me the one eye, then turned around to show me the other, he did this several times like he was trying to tell me something.

Anyway, I texted a friend of mine and asked if that was normal, and she said it sounded like pop-eye. I wish my phone/camera was charged so I could have taken a picture. He seems to be doing ok, though most of the Acei are hiding in the rocks, while the rest are swimming around, so I can't get a good picture now. Is it possible that this was just an injury from transport or should I be worried about a bacterial infection.

As of last night:
PH - 8.2
Ammonia - 0
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - 30

Friend suggested adding QuICK Cure to the tank with the charcoal filter still in. Said she always does that when adding new fish to the tank. Don't know if that's a good suggestion or not, but I did do it.

Is there anything else I should do? I don't have a hospital tank to put this guy in. What should I treat the tank with just to be sure nobody else gets it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Not familiar with quick cure but def remove the charcoal esp if it is fairly new. Most ppl just use the carbon to remove meds from the water when done treating so your basically wasting the meds. I have hears of melafix working to treat popey but personally id go with maracyn/maracyn 2 together and treat as per directions since all fish are new n could be exposed to it. I have had great results using these two together but it is a little more expensive treating the larger tank with w them rather then a qt tank. Also next time ur at walmart grab a 10g for $13 n a sponge filter from your lfs. Seed the filter in your main tank so if anything comes up you can just fill 10g w tank water drop in sponge n waalaa u have a cycled qt tank all forabout $20.

Good luck n keep us posted.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
xxbenjamminxx said:
Not familiar with quick cure but def remove the charcoal esp if it is fairly new. Most ppl just use the carbon to remove meds from the water when done treating so your basically wasting the meds. I have hears of melafix working to treat popey but personally id go with maracyn/maracyn 2 together and treat as per directions since all fish are new n could be exposed to it. I have had great results using these two together but it is a little more expensive treating the larger tank with w them rather then a qt tank. Also next time ur at walmart grab a 10g for $13 n a sponge filter from your lfs. Seed the filter in your main tank so if anything comes up you can just fill 10g w tank water drop in sponge n waalaa u have a cycled qt tank all forabout $20.

Good luck n keep us posted.
Awesome, thanks. Gotta call first, but I'll be heading over to Jack's Aquarium after work to pick up the Maracyn/Maracyn 2 if they have it. They had a few Demonsani last time I was there and I need to replace the ones that passed (down to 8 right now) not sure if I should get them now or wait until I know if the tank is infected. I'll grab the sponge filter while I'm there too. Didn't realize a 10g was that cheap, guess I need to head into wally world, been mostly at aquatic stores lately and they're much more expensive.

Will probably do a water change this evening as well. Just to make sure.

·
Super Moderator
40,495 Posts
Were the demasoni that passed in the same tank as the acei? Could you have a bloat infection traveling around your tank?

Pop-eye is more of a symptom than a disease on it's own. A swollen eye can be caused by water chemistry problems, an infection, an injury or bloat. IME the injury swelling gets better really quickly...almost overnight.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DJRansome said:
Were the demasoni that passed in the same tank as the acei? Could you have a bloat infection traveling around your tank?

Pop-eye is more of a symptom than a disease on it's own. A swollen eye can be caused by water chemistry problems, an infection, an injury or bloat. IME the injury swelling gets better really quickly...almost overnight.
Not entirely sure if they were in the same tank. They were from Express Chiclids/Daytona Beach Aquarium. I had them shipped to me in Ohio. The Dems were dead when I opened the box. All the Acei were doing fine, until I noticed his eye.

I did pick up a 10G tank, filter and the Maracyn and Maracyn Two and have him in there now. I also threw in a little Epsom Salt as I read that might help too. Surprisingly his eye seems to look a bit better now. Not as cloudy as it was.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts