Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again everyone. I posted last week about having a 65 gallon(4ft long) tank. I have the oscar that I am getting rid of this week. My lfs has these wild sevrums that are really awsome looking.They are around 4in in size. I was wondering if the sevrum would be ok with my 9-10 in jack dempsy?Or are they not aggressive enough?

Also I has a 37 gallon tank before the one I had now and before I got rid of it I kept gettings these bugs. No matter what I did they just kept coming back. Today I opened the lid of my tank and found 5-6 of them.. This tank has been setup for a little over 3 weeks now and the guy at my lfs says they have them but don't know what they are or how to get rid of them. Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I won't comment on the Severum vs Oscar and leave that one to people with experience on these species and the mix. My guts tell me this isn't a good idea.

I'm interested in the bugs. For some reason I get lots of bugs during set up of my tanks or,....I just notice them while most people ignore them. Maybe you can tell us more abouth the bugs, how they look like, shape size, color and so on. If they are large enough I like to see a pic. Common bugs are Hydra, Planaria and other worms. Some are easy to treat, some disappear or decrease in number when the tank becomes more stable.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The larva that I have seen in my sponse are just red lines(like short thin worms no more then a centeimter or 2 long)...Then I see these bugs that have hatched sitting on the lid of my tank. The can fly but are easy to catch...At first I thought they were mosquitos but they aren't, they are fatter bodied...they aren't very big at all just annoying.....

P.S...I am getting rid of the oscar and want to but something in with the 9-10in jack...I am open for suggestions but I was thinking sal but then saw these wild sevs at my lfs and thought having one of them would be cool if it would work(but I am not going to risk the life of either fish if its not a good idea)

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
The worms sound like tubifex or tubilaria. Most of them feed on decaying mater and are harmless. I have had worms like that as well and tried to combat them,....I succeeded but they were back in abouth 2 weeks. When the tank was full cycled they reduced in number and I don't see them any more. Small fish like tetras might eat them. Flubendazolle might kill them as well. It's a mild dewormer also used in dog and cat dewormers. Are there fish in the tank???

The flies sound save and doesn't seem to be a problem. Over here in certain times of the summer season flies like that occur in larger numbers. They be attracted by the water and the light during the evening. Doesn't sound like a problem to me. Eventually they will disappear.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the fly things are spawning in the tank...the worm things become the flies and the fish are in the tank...I have been thinking about putting sword tails in there, a suggestions I got from someone else on here,but I am afraid that they would just be eaten by the JD very quickly...

The oscar will be being relocated soon and I would like to get another cichlid in there with my JD so I am still up for suggestions besides the severum?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just out of curiousity...since the bug thing does not seem to be a big deal...what would you guys recommand for this size set up if I got rid of the jd and started fresh?

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Gboro54 said:
just out of curiousity...since the bug thing does not seem to be a big deal...what would you guys recommand for this size set up if I got rid of the jd and started fresh?
Now we're talking. What are the dimensions of your tank?

Seeing as it's a 4 foot tank, the largest fish I would stock in your tank would have a TL of 6 inches.

Personally I'd look at a semi planted community tank. However there are so many options as to stocking you'd have to give us some idea as to what type SA cichlids you like.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Lots of options ... blue acara pair, dwarf acaras (Laeacata), dwarf pikes, apistos, smaller geo's ... as DFF said, alot of options even if sticking to 6" and under. Angels, moutherbrooding acaras, Guinacara ...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know there are a lot of options...The only thing I am going to have a problem with is giving the jd up...I don't just want him to go to a lfs because he will probably never be bought because he is fully grown....i will have to figure out what to do with him first....I have wanted to redo this tank for a little while though....

If anyone knows anyone in the S. Jersey/philly area who wants a jd LOL....then we will be in full business

1 - 10 of 10 Posts