Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently set up a fish room in my house (thanks to my lovely wife for putting up with me)...and I'm breeding 3 different species....blue neon peacock... yellow labs...and red top hongi. I've had the set up for over a month now and the blue neons are still only about 3" long, so I know I have some time (1 male, 4 females), the red top hongi are breeding like crazy (originally 1 male and 4 females, but added 2 more females this week), I've gotten 3 clutches of around 20 or so eggs, but only 2 eggs ended up fertilized and are growing. The yellow labs (1 male and 5 females) haven't even started showing signs of activity. I'd figure they would be the easiest. Now, one of the six females are from my main tank that has actually produced offspring prior to my new setup. My question is should I think about swapping out the male from my main tank with the male in my breeding tank to see if it sparks activity? My reasoning coming from the fact that he obviously "knows" what to do...or give the male that's in the breeding tank more time? The other question is on the red top hongi...will the fertilization rate increase over time that they all mate..? Or is there something i should be doing other than be patient..?

Thanks

1 - 2 of 2 Posts