Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After changing my lighting to a 6500K and a 10,000K I am finally getting some algae growth on the rocks and a little on the background and quite a bit on the front (acrylic tank) I really like the algae as I think it makes a tank more natural, but I don't want too much,may have no choice?

I know I can add a pleaco but will it eat all of it up, and I really don't want one either way. Can I adjust the lighting to a lower level or leave it off every other day and control it that way, or just stop feeding the fish so much and let them control it to a point? Currently I feed once in the morning and then again every other night, I have seen them picking at it just not alot.

I clean the front once to twice a week during a water change and I was also told by a LFS that algae can be a problem at first then it calms down after a bit and sort of stabilizes itself? FYI I have had no algae blooms and it looks to be a nice green carpet forming on the rocks which is what I was looking for.

Thanks much.

·
Super Moderator
40,492 Posts
You can control it by water changes and lighting. But it just makes sense if it grows evenly on your rocks it will grow evenly on your glass as well.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured it would always grow on the acrylic, just don't want it out of control on everything else if that makes any sense?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts