Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been looking through as much info as i can find on the different variations of fronts, trying to decide which kind to try and get my hands on. i would like to eventually try to breed these so i want to make sure to do it right from the start. any advice would be helpful and appriciated greatly.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Welcome! Frontosas are great fish, very graceful. You'll want to have a 6ft or longer tank. They are harem breeders, so a 1M:3-4F ratio is good, the more females the better. People have bred them with just one male, but many say it's good to have two in case the alpha doesn't do his job. The variants differ quite a bit in how difficult they are to breed. Burundi are the easiest, and seem to mature the fastest. Tanzanians seem to also be fairly easy to breed (Mpimbwe, Samazi, Kipili, Ikola, Kasanga, Kantalamba, etc.). I don't know about Zambians (Nangu, Sumbu, Chaitika, Isanga), but the Zaires (Kitumba, Kapampa, Moba, Tembwe, Moliro, Mikula) are notoriously difficult to breed. They usually aren't ready until they're at least 3 1/2-4 years old. The females rarely hold for more than just a few days, so you need to strip them and use a tumbler until the eggs mature. On the other hand, the fry are worth a bit more ($25-30 each online). You can learn a lot more at www.cyphos.com and www.frontosa.com. This link has some great pictures of each variant: http://www.cyphos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11854

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im definitely off in the right direction... i recently got a 135, traded some kid my 55 straight across for it. he didnt have room for it, not sure why he bought it in the first place, but anyway. right now its set up and running, 2 magnum 350 and an emperor 400, one of the magnums is new. cycled with swords and they will stay in till i decide where its going from there

1 - 3 of 3 Posts