Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I'm newly getting into the Cichlid groove, though have kept tropical before. I have a list here of the common names of the fish I have so far, and would love if anybody would be able to check that my scientific names that I've put with them are correct. I know I have a convict in there...he just sorta made it into one of the fish bags.

This is my current list...please feel free to offer any advice, especially if one or two stick out as a problem to you. (Like the demasoni, which I've recently discovered are little terrors). I hope that this is okay to be in this forum!

3 x electric blues - Sciaenochromis ahli
5x electric yellows - labidochromis caeruleus
2 x demasoni - Pseudotropheus demasoni
2 x blue peacocks - Aulonocara Nyassae
2 x dragon blood peacocks - Aulonocara Sp
3 x cuckoo catfish - Synodontis multipunctatus
1 x convict cichlid - Archocentrus nigrofasciatus
1 x tropheus duboisi - Tropheus duboisi
1 x red peacock - Aulonocara Hansbaenschi

·
Registered
9,070 Posts
3 x electric blues - Sciaenochromis ahli ... correct name is Sciaenochromis fryeri

2 x blue peacocks - Aulonocara Nyassae ... this is an old incorrect trade name used for Peacocks. Might be A. stuartgranti "Cobue", or of course could be a mix

2 x dragon blood peacocks - Aulonocara Sp ... these are hybrids and not pure Aulonocara.

1 x tropheus duboisi - Tropheus duboisi ... really kinda pointless to have one Tropheus. May survive. If cute now with white spots on black, it will lose the spots and become grayer.

1 x red peacock - Aulonocara Hansbaenschi... an older scientific name for the "Red Shoulder". The "Red Peacock" is a different fish. Some "Red Peacocks" are mixes of different races. It's hard to know for sure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for your help. I will get some pics at some point for the questionable species to make sure. As far as aggression goes, should this group be relatively okay?

All are about the same size at the moment.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
I do not believe that it is correct to attach the scientific name onto fish that were not sold as such.
The species names are reserved for representatives of the species, not something somewhat similar to the species with who knows what in it's heritage.

electric yellows are very commonly a mbuna/lab hybrid. E.g. clear sign is if they lack black on their fins...

blue peacocks - many domestic breeds are sold as "blue peacocks".

dragon blood peacocks - I would never in a million years suggest these could be called Aulonacara sp. Highly inappropriate in my opinion. These hybrid man made breeds should never be called anything but Peacocks.

MissyN, to know how these fish will work together, you will want to post details of your tank etc. I would recommend starting a compatibility thread int he General African section of our forum since you have both Rift lakes mixed.

·
Registered
143 Posts
As far as compatibility the demasoni could be an issue, but it varies alot by sex and individual. There is a good chance that one of the demasoni will kill the other in any case. Are you planning to keep the convict with all those africans? I would alter that plan, but that is just me. The only other thing to keep an eye on is the duboisi, but with a single fish I wouldn't expect too bad of an agression issue. In my experience, one tropheus actually does very well in a mixed group. I currently have an individual duboisi in my all-male display tank and it thrives, I consider it to be a nice addition.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.