Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made some mistakes early and I am completely lost as to what to do. I have a 75 gallon that started about 9 months ago with the following mix: OB, yellow labs, Virginilas Gold, Rubescens and Flametails but my tank is now "stable" but in a rough way. I have hit a wall with that to do to correct it and the direction I should go.

Had a bad case of bloat wave knocked out my peacocks when a friend watched my tank for a weekend. I now have a mix of 7 female rubescens and flametails (I know but what is done is done). 1 male OB with great coloration and 4 OB females. 4 female virginilas (or atleast no color and breeding) and 4 male labs. Its been about a month in this "stable" state and I havn't had an issue with cross breeding.

I have found someone who would be willing to take the female peacocks despite the mix who made the same mistake. I was thinking of adding 1 male virginilas, a group of female labs and maybe 1 OB female as a baseline. I want to correct my mistakes with the knowledge I have now but could use a second opinion. Should I keep the Hap, mbuna, peacock mix I have that I know is working? Should I rehome them all and go back to first base?

·
Super Moderator
40,508 Posts
Do you want to keep any females other than the yellow labs?

Do you prefer haps and peacocks or mbuna?

Since the OB is half mbuna and a hybrid, his dominance may be causing the Copadichromis to color down...I would not assume those are all female.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to know about the copadichromis, I was assuming I would see some amount of color change in 9 months. If it is unlikely for them to color up in the presence of my OB then maybe I need to rethink rehoming them as well...

My original plan was just going to get rid of the female rubescens and flametails and keep the others. I do prefer the haps/peacocks over the mbuna in general but added the electric yellows due to the lower aggression.

·
Super Moderator
40,508 Posts
With mixed genders among haps and peacocks, you want females for none or females for all. Think in terms of 4 females for every male. If you do females for all then limit to one species of peacock/tank.

Then when choosing species among haps and peacocks, try to go with more timid selections like Copadichromis and Flametail and rubescens OR more aggressive selections like OB peacock.

I always had to remove the more aggressive haps and peacocks to get a lot of color from my favorite timid ones like Copadichromis, Flametail and rubescens.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I was going down the Mbuna route, could I find a new home for the haps and get some acei yellow tail and additional yellow labs?

I was planning on redoing the aquascaping using shale like rock and would need to remove most of the fish anyways. I have a bit of a size different as the male OB is about 3.5" and a bit of an aggressor. How close in size do I need to get?

·
Super Moderator
40,508 Posts
If you are going mbuna then 1m:4f yellow labs and acei would work, and you would still have room for 2 more species. Or you could do 1m:9f of each of the yellow labs and acei.

The OB is not a mbuna...would you be getting rid of him and all your other fish?

If you are going mbuna, then fill the tank with rocks. Is shale flat? I would use something 3D.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts