Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Lake Tanganyika tank set up with Altolamprologus compressiceps, brevis and Cyprichromis Leptosoma. I would like to place some floating plants in the 2 back corners (think riccia fluitans or java moss) but I don't want them getting caught in the filtrations system or in areas of the tank where I do not want them so I would like to attach them to something that floats and I can tie with fishing line in the corners or I'd like to corral the plants somehow. I have heard of people doing this in tanks with cork bark but I am also worried that this may lower the pH and hardness or be otherwise dangerous for Rift Lake cichlids. I do have the African cichlid substrate from Carib Sea as well as naturally very hard water from my faucets so I don't know if it makes a big difference. Any opinions on cork bark or other ways to have floating plants in one place? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Java moss won't float, but if you want to corral riccia, you can do so with a ring of airline tubing, joined with a connector. It will float and contain the riccia. A suction cup and some line will hold it in the area and allow it to rise and fall with water levels. You would just have to watch it while doing water changes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts