Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of getting one of these to control algea,anyone have any info about how effective they are ?

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
I've found if I start a new tank with a UV light... it will help algae from settling in...

But I've found that adding a UV to a tank that has an algae issue... will help slow growth but will not rid the tank of algae...

I've heard that UV lights bond/kill/goof up something (or things) in the water that plants & algae need/use. But I've never confirmed this...

They work great to get rid of green water or algae blooms... also if used properly they will rid the tank of parasites and make the water truly crystal clear.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
UV sterilizers will kill the free floating sexual reproductive stage of many species of benthic algae (the kind that grows on surfaces). So they will have some effect. However they will not stop vegetative reproduction (where the algae reproduces by cellular division) so I would not expect the use of one to clean your glass. Basically it may prevent new spots of algae from forming in the tank but it won't stop or clear up spots of algae that are already existing.

Andy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts