Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4' 90G tank, and I'm using the cookie cutter 75G from the library, shown below. Tank has been stocked for about 8 months. I'm posting this because I've lost a few fish recently, and any aggression is causing more damage lately. I guess I'm getting into the more challenging part of managing a tank like this.

Cookie cutter (Adults)
• Aulonocara jacobfreibergi - 3-4
• Placidochromis electra - 3-4
• Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei" - 4
• Labidochromis caeruleus - 6

My tank stock
Aulonocara Stuartgranti (Hansbaenschi) Chiloelo - 1M/4F - 3.5 inches
Placidochromis Electra - 1M/2F? - 2.5 inches
Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei" - 1M/5F? - 3.0 inches
Labidochromis caeruleus - 1M/4F - 3.5 inches & 10 - 1 inch fry

I've lost the three smallest haps (placidochromis electra), due to aggression I think (mostly from their own kind), as the smallest fish ended up giving up eventually and hanging out behind the filter. After that I would quarantine them but i lost them a few days later.

Except for the haps, all the groups are spawning. I've removed males from each group (except the haps) if they were fighting non stop. I also removed a few trouble makers from the Hap group when they were smaller. I started with 9 haps, and I'm down to 3, which is disappointing. I've also had to rescue a fish here and there to give them a chance to regrow fins and such, and at least that was a success.

I'd love to hear some feedback and advice about this if anyone can help. I really want to keep the remaining haps, and unfortunately the bluest one is the smallest and I really want him to survive.

thanks!

·
Super Moderator
40,481 Posts
I am surprised the electra is the one that is giving you trouble. You started with 9...where a lot of them males? I would probably add electra juveniles to try to get more females.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When i re-homed the trouble makers I thought they were males, but they were barely 2 inches. I'm really not sure.

·
Super Moderator
40,481 Posts
I would assume they were males and add juveniles to get more females.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, at least the trio is doing ok for now. I'm looking for some more to add.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts