Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would think, since the consensus is that convicts will spawn in a puddle, that there would be an abundance of them in almost any fish store. But I went to 2 Petcos, and while they have a sticker on the tank that says they have them, they don't. I went to a Pet Supplies Plus and no convicts! The only store in a 25 mile radius of where I live that even has 1 is Petsmart!

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
They are popular so sell out fast I guess.

...Bill

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
You can probably get cons from someone in a neighboring city that can ship them to you. That's if you know anyone close enough.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Swing by my house in a month or two... my cons just spawned and it's difficult to even give them away up here. Have you checked kijiji/craigs list?

·
Registered
406 Posts
The Petsmart near me usually gets them in a once a month. Where are you located Elijah?

I have a batch of marbled convict fry if you're interested? PM me.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jason_nj said:
The Petsmart near me usually gets them in a once a month. Where are you located Elijah?

I have a batch of marbled convict fry if you're interested? PM me.
I live in PA. I'm not in a hurry to get some, I could wait until my local Petsmart gets some.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Now that you mention it...
Last few times I was there with my dog , the Petsmart in my area didn't have any either.

They always have oscars, JD's, & cons, but no Cons the last few visits.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Bamboo said:
For a few bucks more , you could get Honduran Red Points .... :popcorn:
I would much rather have HRP's.
I've never seen them locally, but know of people who keep them.

With Cons I don'[t feel as bad when using their fry as feeders, since they get busy like rabbits.
:p

Google:
Australoheros sp. Red Ceibal

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Much prettier and less aggresive

My male

....Bill

·
Registered
211 Posts
The thing about convicts is the "biggest bang for your buck" factor.
They are tenacious for their size, & will "bang" with almost anyone they think is a threat.
My GT was always the biggest fish 12" @ his biggest & he's only bully the cons when they can too close to his territory.
I never lost a con to the GT, most of the time the cons would take out each other.

I agree, HRP's are a much better alternative.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I give fish to the lfs all the time. Trade in depends on the stock they have and the quality of the fish. The big chain stores freak out if you try to bring in a fish. So steer clear there.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Petco was happy to take the Africans back that I gave them. I would imagine, since convicts are scarce around me, that the LFS would want them?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts