Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 90 gallon tank currently has only convicts and 2 plecos since they bread so fast i moved other fish out. I was wondering if a tank with divided territories would work with convicts and puffers I really like these 2 fish because of how active they are. My gf has 1 puffer and they are verry entertaining. She doesn't add salt or anything and its been fresh water for several years now. Any opinions?

·
Registered
561 Posts
http://www.dwarfpuffers.com/ which is an excellent source for dwarf puffer info, states that the only compatible fish with tdwarf puffers is the otocinclus.

Freshwater puffers will nip the fins of other fish in my experience but if housed with a convict the size difference would most likely lead to dead puffers. I don't think puffers would be able to escape from a determined convict.

·
Banned
1,079 Posts
Depends on which kind of puffer you got but I'd say either way you'll end up with a dead fish - both are highly territorial and won't back down in fights...

You'll either have a shredded dwarf puffer or peices of a convict.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I've seen convicts and spotted puffers in a tank at an lfs once. The convicts had absolutly no tails, eaten into the body a little bit, and barely had fins. The puffers weren't in better shape although they had their tails they were just torn up. There was one dead puffer kicking around the bottom. My advice- Don't do it.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I have a Figure 8 Puffer in with a female Beta and they get along fine. The Beta and Puffer both have no bites out of their fins. The Puffer is about 3/4" long right now. They have been in the tank together for about a month.

·
Registered
87 Posts
lil mama said:
I have a Figure 8 Puffer in with a female Beta and they get along fine. The Beta and Puffer both have no bites out of their fins. The Puffer is about 3/4" long right now. They have been in the tank together for about a month.
Just an FYI. Those Figure 8s need Brackish water.

·
Registered
663 Posts
True freshwater puffers are really tiny and would get killed by Convicts quickly.

Most people are keeping brackish water puffers in freshwater, which is not very ideal for them. They do much better in brackish tanks.

My advice is don't do it. If you like puffers (which are really cool fish) keep them in a tank in which they will do well. So for freshwater puffers keep them in a species only tank and for brackish puffers keep them in brackish tanks. Either way, no convicts.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
TabMorte said:
lil mama said:
Just an FYI. Those Figure 8s need Brackish water.
No your wrong they can go either fresh or brackish.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Sorry I was informed they could go either way. Your right they are fresh water only. I also have a Green Spotted Puffer, I am slowly turning him to brackish water. When I got him he was in a fresh water tank and was a little under two inches. I add salt once a week raising the SG .002 per week. He is doing very well and is about 2 1/2 inches now. They are very cool fish they eat worms like a wood chipper. :lol: They swim like a little submarine.

·
Banned
1,079 Posts
There are a handful of fresh water puffers out there - most of them will do alright in fresh water at young ages and require brackish in adult size.

My favorite pure fresh water puffer is an arrowhead :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts